NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ldn673

Allinthehead

I managed to get a couple of clear nights last weekend in the south of Ireland. Conditions were poor with high cloud at times but nice to get anything at all. I'm hoping to start my Autumn/Winter project soon so even though this needs more time i doubt i'll get round to adding to it.

Ldn 673 is a dark nebula of dust and gas in the constellation of Aquila. This molecular cloud is massive around 67 trillion kms across, and it is between 300-600 light years from Earth.  LDN 673 lies in front of the larger Aquila Rift that is part of the Great Rift in the Milky Way stretching from Centaurus to Cygnus.

Taken with my Asi2600mc through a Tak Epsilon 130, 5.5 hrs in 180 second subs

Mounted on an AzEq6

Captured with SGPro, satcked in APP, processed in APP, PI and PS.

Richard.

Ldn673.thumb.jpg.063e05b18af8213cb59859baf6c492f7.jpg

• Like 25

1 hour ago, Allinthehead said:

I managed to get a couple of clear nights last weekend in the south of Ireland. Conditions were poor with high cloud at times but nice to get anything at all. I'm hoping to start my Autumn/Winter project soon so even though this needs more time i doubt i'll get round to adding to it.

Ldn 673 is a dark nebula of dust and gas in the constellation of Aquila. This molecular cloud is massive around 67 trillion kms across, and it is between 300-600 light years from Earth.  LDN 673 lies in front of the larger Aquila Rift that is part of the Great Rift in the Milky Way stretching from Centaurus to Cygnus.

Mounted on an AzEq6

Richard.

Great image, do you have to collimate the Tak Epsilon much?

Roger

• Like 1

Nice image Richard, skies too LP here for dark nebula, started on Shark last year but not got back to dark site since

Still having Sharpstar fun, waiting on Rainbow RST-135 mount from FLO to make a nice portable setup as it's a bit of a pita trying to balance it especially with the ZWO ASI2600mc and hopefully get back to dark site soon.

Dave

1 hour ago, ApophisAstros said:

Great image, do you have to collimate the Tak Epsilon much?

Roger

Hi Roger, thanks. Once i get it set up correctly i can leave collimation for about 3 months depending on how much i use it. If i had a permanent setup i'm sure it would hold collimation for much longer but as i move it around a lot it needs some tweaking more often. 

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

Nice image Richard, skies too LP here for dark nebula, started on Shark last year but not got back to dark site since

Still having Sharpstar fun, waiting on Rainbow RST-135 mount from FLO to make a nice portable setup as it's a bit of a pita trying to balance it especially with the ZWO ASI2600mc and hopefully get back to dark site soon.

Dave

Thanks Dave. Yes it's hard if not impossible to balance the Epsilon too. I have the camera hanging to the side of the scope but on the AzEq6 it seems to guide adequately. I don't get too hung up on it, might be different with your Rainbow.

25 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

Thanks Dave. Yes it's hard if not impossible to balance the Epsilon too. I have the camera hanging to the side of the scope but on the AzEq6 it seems to guide adequately. I don't get too hung up on it, might be different with your Rainbow.

According to the blurb the Rainbow doesn't require balancing for light loads so no counterweights to cart about.

Dave

On 16/08/2020 at 10:31, Allinthehead said:

Mounted on an AzEq6

Richard.

That's gorgeous Richard. A sea of golden stars, punctuated by the Dark nebula. Subtle, yet striking, at the same time. 

Can't wait to see what you've got in store for us with your Autumn/Winter project. 

22 hours ago, Tom OD said:

Great result. I love the dark nebula on a background of the central Milky Way.

Tom

22 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Yes, I agree with Tom. This is a dramatic image.

Olly

21 hours ago, RobertI said:

A striking image of an extraordinary looking nebula. Thank you!

Thanks all, i do enjoy imaging these dark nebulae.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gorann said:

I love the spoky shape of that dark nebula - seems like it is dancing against the golden star field. Great image!

My first thought was that it resembled a ballerina. I take it you see it too?