Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello, I'm new to the group and I have a question for whoever has an opinion. I've been really getting into astronomy the past year. Right now I have an Explore One 60mm by 700mm Theseus. I'm wanting to get the Orion AstroView 90mm EQ refractor. I would like to know anyone's thoughts on this scope and possibly other similar or better options in the same $300 price range.

Thank You in advance

32 minutes ago, Sypher said:

Hello, I'm new to the group and I have a question for whoever has an opinion. I've been really getting into astronomy the past year. Right now I have an Explore One 60mm by 700mm Theseus. I'm wanting to get the Orion AstroView 90mm EQ refractor. I would like to know anyone's thoughts on this scope and possibly other similar or better options in the same $300 price range.

Thank You in advance

Welcome to SGL!

Could you let us know a little more about what you would like to achieve with it? Observing or imaging? Planets, lunar or Deep Sky? Also what your light pollution is like where you would be using the scope?

This might help us give some better advice.

• Like 2

Thank you and good point. I want it for planetary viewing and some easier brighter dso's. I live in the city so I'd say I have moderate to high light pollution to deal with. Getting into taking images might be something but probably not in the immediate future.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/08/2020 at 00:34, Sypher said:

Thank you and good point. I want it for planetary viewing and some easier brighter dso's. I live in the city so I'd say I have moderate to high light pollution to deal with. Getting into taking images might be something but probably not in the immediate future.

Generally, for visual astronomy, the bigger the aperture the better. Particularly for DSOs. But you'll be mainly looking at planets, which are bright, so aperture becomes a little less critical. Refractors are usually good for planets but you'll be limited with the number of DSOs you can see, though as you say, a 90mm will be good for the brighter ones. You might also consider a catadioptric scope like a Schmidt-Cassegrain or Maksutov-Cassegrain which with their long focal lengths, produce a big image of planets but are not optimal for DSOs.

Personally I find planets rather underwhelming in an amateur scope, and don't often look at them. I think we've been spoiled by all the space probes that have visited the outer planets and sent back stunning pictures. Sadly, with a small scope under a blanket of air, the view is disappointing (in my opinion, which many may not share). So, I much prefer DSOs but I have a 10" Dobsonian which shows them well.

I have a 90mm f/10 achromat, and almost identical to that of the Orion kit...

100818.jpg.1f26a52897e808f87e4a5e036c3dff21.jpg

90mm, in a refractor, would put on a fine show.

My first telescope, and a refractor: a 60mm f/11(700mm focal-length), and from the early 1970s...

kit5.jpg.6a987ea8a123ab4bd10af894635a834e.jpg

The minimum to get for a refractor, to make it worth the while, is an 80mm f/8 or longer, so you're on the right track.