Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Make me see sense - Frac purchase

If you are into imaging I suggest you stick to your Newtonean, which is not a bad imaging scope, until you saved up enough for a good 80mm triplet apo (like an Esprit) - that would likely be a scope you would keep for wide field imaging even if you later buy a larger scope. Every time you sell and buy a scope you loose money.

I am not an imager at all, so my question might be somewhat irrelevant, but what advantage would any of those refractors offer over the 150PDS, as from what I've read on this thread, it is an f/5 scope with a focuser that is suitable for DSLR imaging.

Just an interested non imager, with no advice to give.

Thanks all - for me the advantage is not so much in better optics or image quality but more a practical / boring reason. 

Firstly is storage, and whilst the PDS is not huge it does take up significantly more room than a frac and space is currently at a premium as I’ve converted my shed into an office to enable me to work from home more in future. 

Secondly is the field of view, with my interest being drawn more to the wider field that the Evostar or Zenithstar give me than what the PDS offers. 

On 30/07/2020 at 21:33, PEMS said:

I have a 72ED and really am not impressed with it. The scope to my mind does what it should but only just, and I expect it to not do things at some stage - I use it for visual and the focus travel is one area of concern.

The latest ones now being sold have a fixed the focuser travel issue.

Adam