Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSLR Elephant Trunk

I had a go at the elephant trunk nebula.

I feel a bit ridiculous posting pictures like this on here when I see all your incredible images. But I'm certainly improving with a long way still to go.

This was 2hrs 15 mins of 180 sec exposures. Canon 50D on a Celestron C8N. I need to get myself a coma corrector as I have to cut away half of my image to remove the really fat stars.

Anyway, I was semi-proud of this image, so here we are!

2085976063_ElephantV2.thumb.jpg.a97ee5dc122b01a3c2a9da5ffa95e22b.jpg

• Like 22

28 minutes ago, astro_john_palmer said:

I feel a bit ridiculous posting pictures like this on here

Nobody should ever say that on a public forum. We all start from the same level and we all have to learn at our own pace and with the equipment we have. You have made a great start here and and you have every right to be proud of it....it is a lot better than the 1st images I put out in public 👍

• Like 2

John,

I know the feeling well about the fear of posting images when there are some unbelievably fantastic images posted by some great astro-photographers on this site. I too was the same and still am to some extent

But any recognisable DSO image is a great achievement anyway and for sure your image is definitely one to be proud of it's a great image 🙂

The only comments I have received on this forum are ones of praise and help with great advice of how I can improve both the data acquisition and the processing, So continue to post it is exactly what the imaging section of SGL is all about.

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang
  • Like 1

Just now, Kinch said:

Nobody should ever say that on a public forum. We all start from the same level and we all have to learn at our own pace and with the equipment we have. You have made a great start here and and you have every right to be proud of it....it is a lot better than the 1st images I put out in public 👍

Thanks Kinch. To be fair, I can't claim it is the first image I have posted (those were much worse).

There was however a gap between not knowing they were not very good, and then feeling I was up to a standard which I was more happy with. :)

2 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

John,

I know the feeling well about the fear of posting images when there are some unbelievably fantastic images posted by some great astro-photographers on this site. I too was the same and still am to some extent

But any recognisable DSO image is a great achievement anyway and for sure your image is definitely one to be proud of it's a great image 🙂

The only comments I have received on this forum are ones of praise and help with great advice of how I can improve both the data acquisition and the processing, So continue to post it is exactly what the imaging section of SGL is all about.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I agree comments on this forum are always very helpful and encouraging. I wouldn't say I was afraid of posting, for exactly those reasons. It was more that I thought it's a bit pointless. 🤣

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, astro_john_palmer said:

I agree comments on this forum are always very helpful and encouraging. I wouldn't say I was afraid of posting, for exactly those reasons. It was more that I thought it's a bit pointless. 

You have just contradicted yourself............if the comments are helpful and encouraging.........then posting cannot be pointless!                   Just sayin'   🤓

1 minute ago, astro_john_palmer said:

I agree comments on this forum are always very helpful and encouraging. I wouldn't say I was afraid of posting, for exactly those reasons. It was more that I thought it's a bit pointless. 🤣

Maybe me then that was just initially worried about posting my images. I tend to think that most astro imagers are quite self-critical anyway and think they can always do better, just seems to be par for the course to achieve perfection.

But certainly not pointless. I think it is really helpful to hear the comments and it often leads to you re-processing the same data with better results. Also it's good for everyone to see how others frame certain targets and I love looking at what other people are targeting and sometimes prompts me to think must give that one a go. So I think it is helpful that we all post images from time to time.

Steve

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sterrenland said:

As someone who uses a DSLR himself, that's an awesome image! I'd be more than pleased with that!

Thank you! Don't get me wrong, I am pleased with a lot of my images, but like Steve said (below) I am self-critical and know I can improve. Especially when you start comparing to some other incredible imagers!

3 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Maybe me then that was just initially worried about posting my images. I tend to think that most astro imagers are quite self-critical anyway and think they can always do better, just seems to be par for the course to achieve perfection.

But certainly not pointless. I think it is really helpful to hear the comments and it often leads to you re-processing the same data with better results. Also it's good for everyone to see how others frame certain targets and I love looking at what other people are targeting and sometimes prompts me to think must give that one a go. So I think it is helpful that we all post images from time to time.

Steve

Yes it's fair to say I take inspiration from others posts here, and maybe mine can do the same.

3 hours ago, Kinch said:

You have just contradicted yourself............if the comments are helpful and encouraging.........then posting cannot be pointless!                   Just sayin'   🤓

Fair point! I guess I meant more for other people than myself, but you are right it always nice to get some encouragement and critique.

• Like 1