Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars with good seeing

Cosmic Geoff

Some quick results on Mars from the morning of 20 July. The seeing was good and Mars at a good altitude.  Equipment: CPC800, ASI224MC with IR-cut and IR-pass filters, ADC.

The surface features show more clearly in infrared.  I forgot to try a Barlow lens on this small target, but have not had any good results with the cheap Skywatcher x2 Barlow in the past.  So these images are kinda small; I was going to x2 them in Photoshop but am having a problem with my network just now.  

The surface detail checks out as Syrtis Major and Hellas with the southern icecap.

Mars03_27_59.jpg

MarsIR03_36_22.jpg

• Like 11

On 21/07/2020 at 11:23, Cosmic Geoff said:

Some quick results on Mars from the morning of 20 July. The seeing was good and Mars at a good altitude.  Equipment: CPC800, ASI224MC with IR-cut and IR-pass filters, ADC.

The surface features show more clearly in infrared.  I forgot to try a Barlow lens on this small target, but have not had any good results with the cheap Skywatcher x2 Barlow in the past.  So these images are kinda small; I was going to x2 them in Photoshop but am having a problem with my network just now.  

The surface detail checks out as Syrtis Major and Hellas with the southern icecap.

Mars03_27_59.jpg

MarsIR03_36_22.jpg

Thanks for posting Geoff.  I was observing at the same time with my SW 120ED and the views I had were very similar to the details that  your mono  image shows.

• Like 1