NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Memory card for 600D

Hi just wondered what sd cards people are using with canon 600D. I'm after a cheap as possible 128gb sd card to just get started. Someone local selling a toshiba n203 128gb card. Have read some people say they have brought sd cards that aren't compatible so I'm a little worried about buying a brand that wont work. What is everyone using? Thanks

I use these Kingston 'SD' cards in my Nikon D40x & D80...

14381_midi.jpg.746ae2174d4b27fa1a02a89f566c13cb.jpg14380_midi.jpg.daa50e22d1b6e04070ed939a4337c94d.jpg

I purchased them from here...
https://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/c/433/SDHC-Cards/

The user guide/instruction manual should tell you the minimum and maximum storage card capacity to be used.
I would advise not to use the 'micro-SD' card and 'SD' adapter.

My Olympus C2040 (digital compact camera) uses 'SmartMedia' cards from 8Mb to 128Mb capacity...

Smartmedia.jpg.8c41f7cead23a321c5f4333ab97aae42.jpg

Edited by Philip R
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Leewfc said:

Hi just wondered what sd cards people are using with canon 600D. I'm after a cheap as possible 128gb sd card to just get started. Someone local selling a toshiba n203 128gb card. Have read some people say they have brought sd cards that aren't compatible so I'm a little worried about buying a brand that wont work. What is everyone using? Thanks

SanDisk 16gb with my 600D. But I have my images copy to card and laptop. 

2 minutes ago, AstroRuz said:

SanDisk 16gb with my 600D. But I have my images copy to card and laptop. 

👍 thanks. Can you set all pics to save to card only? I want to use my main pc for editing. 

Just now, Leewfc said:

👍 thanks. Can you set all pics to save to card only? I want to use my main pc for editing. 

You can. So I use APT to control my imaging sessions and on there you can set it to card only, PC + card or pc only :)

if I was going card only I'd probably get a 32gb SanDisk Extreme (the silver one) just for a larger capacity and a slightly quicker write speed 

Just now, AstroRuz said:

You can. So I use APT to control my imaging sessions and on there you can set it to card only, PC + card or pc only :)

if I was going card only I'd probably get a 32gb SanDisk Extreme (the silver one) just for a larger capacity and a slightly quicker write speed 

Brilliant thank you. Someone by me selling a toshiba 128gb sd card for 15 quid. I just dont know if toshiba compatible and if they are any good. There is also a pny at currys reasonably priced which is their pro version again not sure if they are any good. Would be intresting to hear if anyone has used one in their 600D. 

3 minutes ago, Leewfc said:

Brilliant thank you. Someone by me selling a toshiba 128gb sd card for 15 quid. I just dont know if toshiba compatible and if they are any good. There is also a pny at currys reasonably priced which is their pro version again not sure if they are any good. Would be intresting to hear if anyone has used one in their 600D. 

I'm wary with really big capacity cards and old cameras. I used to use a 450D which couldn't even recognize a 32gb card if I recall correctly. 32 should be plenty in a 600D for Astro, especially if you're offloading the pictures every session :)

3 minutes ago, AstroRuz said:

I'm wary with really big capacity cards and old cameras. I used to use a 450D which couldn't even recognize a 32gb card if I recall correctly. 32 should be plenty in a 600D for Astro, especially if you're offloading the pictures every session :)

I did have a look and they said can take up to 128gb on canon. I do get what you mean though. 

I have 600D with a SanDisk Extreme 16GB and a 4GB. It was second hand and came with those cards. The plan is to let my laptop control the imaging to store them on a 1TB external card.

Just needs to corrupt and the entire session is done, appreciate it can happen in any cards but always think the bigger ones are more likely as you always have more to loose on them, think it's "sods law" though. 😉

1 minute ago, tonylumley said:

Just needs to corrupt and the entire session is done, appreciate it can happen in any cards but always think the bigger ones are more likely as you always have more to loose on them, think it's "sods law" though. 😉

Part of the reason why I save to pc and card when I can. When I'm fully remote though I'll just have to rely on the card's not corrupting haha 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tonylumley said:

I've decided to go with 2x 64gb just to make sure not going too large

5 hours ago, tonylumley said:

I had one of my 32Mb 'SmartMedia' cards corrupted. I had been doing some aerial photos on a SOF-VAR internal/domestic flight and forgot to save them to HDD. The fourth image was corrupted and would not read any images after it. I managed to salvage the card by formatting twice it in my laptop as FAT and then formatting in the camera twice. It still is good and no further corruption issues since... touch wood!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Leewfc said:

I've decided to go with 2x 64gb just to make sure not going too large

I have never managed to fill my 64Gb card even shooting HD movies with my 80D so you should have no problems with space.

Alan

• Thanks 1