Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Photoshop...

James

Another "where can I get..." question I'm afraid. I'm looking at Photoshop for some image processing (I work for someone who knows how to use it :hello2: ). Is it possible to get older versions legally? If so, how far back would you go before you start losing useful functionality and does anyone know any suppliers?

James

You maybe able to get a secondhand unregistered copy i suppose, although i wouldn't go back further than CS. I haven't seen any retailers selling older versions. But you may get a deal on CS3 now that CS4 is about.

I've lost touch with all this though. I'm happy with Paint.net :hello2:

You can still pick up CS3 james and its great for processing all round.

I know others say gimp etc, but I honestly wouldnt be without photoshop.

If you do get it, check out my file dump on my uk astro page as there are some useful actions etc bundled into a zip file for members to use.

I know I dont need to tell you about Noels actions .. essential IMHO

James, Gimp has all the tools of PS. If there's anyone involved in education in your family, it might also pay to look at educational licenses.

I've got Gimp on my Mac but it only handles 8 bit rather than 16 bit images. Is that a big problem?

James

It depends on the handling of the camera raw image files. If you have a new camera, the old versions of Photoshop won't handle the raw images. They won't write plug-ins for the old versions to achieve this as they want you to buy the new version. Quite rightly, I suppose. If you stack and process the raw images in another software package, then save as a Photoshop compatible file format, then it's probably not a problem anyway.

I wouldn't go further back than CS3 now James. Noel's tools will need CS2 or CS3 at least, if you plan to use them.

Another very interesting looking program is Pixinsight. I have used the full version and it can do some amazing things. Still feel comfy with PS though.

If you should happen to find anything out about educational licenses, I'd appreciate hearing about it, as we teach our three nippers at home.

Tim

If you have a new camera, the old versions of Photoshop won't handle the raw images. They won't write plug-ins for the old versions to achieve this as they want you to buy the new version.

I hadn't thought of that...

I wouldn't go further back than CS3 now James. Noel's tools will need CS2 or CS3 at least, if you plan to use them.

Another very interesting looking program is Pixinsight. I have used the full version and it can do some amazing things. Still feel comfy with PS though.

More good points... and PixInsight runs on OS X... :hello2:

AT - Thank you, I'll have a think about your offer. I think though at the end of the day we'll need a full version...

James

If you're patient and don't mind filling in a form, you might get a real steal buying an already used Photoshop version from ebay. :D

You and the original owner would both need to sign a Transfer of Licence form (I work for a software company that has a similar policy). More info here: http://www.adobe.com/uk/support/service/transowner.html

Another thing to watch out for: if you think you might want to upgrade it in future, many companies only offer upgrades from a certain version upwards. I'm not sure on this, but I think you can only upgrade from CS upwards currently. I would imagine that CS3 would be could be upgraded for a good few years yet if that is of interest to you over time. :hello2:

Archived