NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Taking pic of comet

@Anthony1979 If this helps then fine:

I shot the comet last night with a 70 - 200 zoom at f3.5. I used 2 and 2.5 second exposures at 400 iso.

I had to tweak the exposure in processing so 3 seconds would have been a better choice.

So it depends on your lens aperture settings. Based on the above for every 'f-stop' slower (bigger number) than f3.5 you need to double the exposure length or double your iso settings i.e. 400 / 800/ 1600 / 3200...

Best thing is to bracket well each side and check the results on the view screen. Ideally increase the iso rather than lengthening the exposure if your on a static tripod to avoid subject motion.

Good luck

C_2020_F3_12-07-2020-3.png

Edited by fwm891
  • Like 3

I used a 70-200mm zoom lens. Using the '400 rule' I can get 5 seconds at 70mm and 2 seconds at 200mm. I should add my camera is a full frame Z6, so for a cropped sensor (Nikon is 1.5) you will have to reduce exposure length to 2/3 of mine. I used ISO 800 - 3200 and lens was at f/2.8. 

Last night's settings for me (which were spot on) :-

Canon eos250d,  50mm at 2.8, ISO 800, 8second.

There was the tiniest amount of star trailing, so maybe ISO1600 at about 5s might have been a bit better.

This is a single jpeg straight out of the camera, downsized for display:-

Newise.jpg

[Edit]  The tricky bit was focusing.  I've got an App on my phone which allows a 10x "live view" zoom.  I'm not sure how I would have done it without this unless I had a pc directly connected.

Edited by don4l
  • Like 1