NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Comet Neowise at Beaghmore Stone Circles.

Hi

What a great time to be enjoying astronomy.  So many fantastic photos on the forum and the internet in general.

Here is one from 2am this morning from a local beauty spot just up the road from me.  "Beaghmore is a complex of early Bronze Age megalithic features, stone circles and cairns, on the south-east edge of the Sperrin Mountains.  Possibly the site could mark a focal point for religious and/or social gatherings. Some archaeologists believe that the circles have been constructed in relation to the rising of the sun at the solstice, or to record the movements of the sun and moon acting as observatories for particular lunar, solar or stellar events. Three of the stone rows point to the sunrise at the time of the solstice and another is aligned towards moonrise at the same period. However, most of the remains at Beaghmore do not indicate very accurate alignments upon specific astronomical features."

I used my Nikon D800E and an old Tokina 28-70mm F2.6 lens, 30s exposure on a SA mount.

Thanks for looking

Adam

comet-neowise-02.jpg

• Like 21

Brilliant....feel like im the only one hasn't got a pic of this yet,have my gear ready and waiting last 3 nights,alarm set and woke to clouds...had planned to go to Divis mountain where i know has a great viewing spot,will try tonight again.

Just now, paul mc c said:

Brilliant....feel like im the only one hasn't got a pic of this yet,have my gear ready and waiting last 3 nights,alarm set and woke to clouds...had planned to go to Divis mountain where i know has a great viewing spot,will try tonight again.

Thanks Paul.  Dont feel to dispondent.  Tonight isnt looking too bad so fingers crossed for you.

Adam

• Like 1

The comet's tail looks so much longer than I am seeing visually with binoculars or naked eye. My observing location is rather light polluted so maybe that's it. The tail appears golden though as you image shows.

Thanks for sharing your image,

- Phyllis

• Thanks 1

Fabulous capture and setting.

I've tried to find an interesting setting for my captures of the comet but, here in Norfolk, we don't have any!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1