Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

This may be sacrilege...

But is there such a thing as a camera you can connect to your scope and view what's on it wirelessly to a tablet? 

I am thinking if you had a wireless goto and this, you could stay indoors but still appreciate the views. 

Don't hate me :)

Thanks

Best you can sort of do is with modern Canon cameras that have Wifi access and mounts that have wifi as well - such as AZGti.

There is no all in one solution that will work out of the box.

Most people here use small form factor PC computer mounted next to scope and some sort of remote desktop / VNC solution to work remotely from the comfort of their living space (this includes both wireless and wired connection).

Alternative is to build an observatory with warm room :D

In theory your idea is good but in practice it is a major feat of engineering to get this sort of remote viewing to work.  If you get a camera, attach it to the scope and wire it to a laptop a few feet away, you will find that getting this lower tech version to work, be in focus, and have the object on the screen is enough of a challenge.

funny I've thought of trying something similar but as noted it ain't as simple as it first sounds. I've a GoTo mount which could be PC controlled, so a camera in the eyepiece and linked back to the PC sounds an easy step. But you'd likely need to be able to live stack and wait possibly several minutes to get the image and may well have to shift focus, so a remote focuser might be needed too. Add in power requirements and cables trailing back indoors (not a fan of WiFi for high data-rate links) and it might be workable. May also need to consider a pier extension so the rig doesn't hit the tripod when remotely finding an object as you may not see the impending expensive collision in time...

Have you looked on the EEVA threads as that's essentially what you're trying to achieve.

I guess the all-in-one ready to go solution does exist these days, if you're prepared to pay £2k and accept that it is an as-is system, so you're stuck at the hardware rev shipped to you and you're unlikely to be able to fudge your own updates onto, the Unistellar eVscope. There's a topic or 2 on here as I recall.

On 11/07/2020 at 00:21, hms_furious said:

Like that, yes, but I was thinking of some sort of all in one camera contraption. Thanks 

If you use Canon or Nikon, you could try a Camranger mini. It will give you the wireless control for the camera, but you will still need to sort something out for the mount.

cough... Unistellar eVoscope...

runs and hides from the "proper scope crew" - oh wait, I am one lol

Seriously tho, I've no affiliation nor have one of these, there is a thread on here somewhere on it. Depends if you want an EEVA scope all-in-one rig and drop that amount of cash. If I recall correctly tho it pretty much does what you're asking out of the box, someone else who has one may chime in with more info.

Nothing better then a wired connection.
Just need a Silex DS600 and a cat6 cable up  to 100 meters to your indoor computer, laptop or router.

The Silex weighs next to nothing and can ride on your telescope with velcro and connect to your 12v supply for power.
1 cat 6 cable and everything is connected to your favorite indoor pc or tablet.
The Silex has 1 x USB2 port and 1 x USB3 port and each connection can handle a 4 port hub, so plenty of room for camera, mount, focuser and what else.