NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Where are Baader Morpheus Made?

2 hours ago, Don Pensack said:

Also the ETX scopes and LXD mounts.

I had always thought the ETX scopes were originally made in the US.  I didn't realize they were getting them from JOC all along.

In all honesty, I just don’t get why things are not stamped Made in XXXX it would end confusion and clarify it a bit.

Of course where it is made is no indicator of the quality.

So my question is answered, a retailer is wrongly saying Baader Morpheus Made in Germany,

should read Baader Morpheus Made in China.

6 hours ago, Alan White said:

n all honesty, I just don’t get why things are not stamped Made in XXXX it would end confusion and clarify it a bit.

German optics have a deserved reputation for excellence.

Insinuating a German connection is purely a marketing ploy IMHO.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alan White said:

So my question is answered, a retailer is wrongly saying Baader Morpheus Made in Germany,

What I'm very interested in is where that superb 95mm APO by Baader is made- rumours in the coffee shop say is bests the Astro Physics... and others.

anybody know?

ps when I asked Baader they wouldn't reveal where the optics came from...

Edited by jetstream

2 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

They could be made in the Shire by Hobbits! i don't know, all i do know is my 9mm is my goto eyepiece, a fine eyepiece it is, really.

I never was doubting the eyepieces, I was doubting the suppliers claim of Made in Germany.
Morpheus get rave reviews here and on other forums.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

They could be made in the Shire by Hobbits! i don't know, all i do know is my 9mm is my goto eyepiece, a fine eyepiece it is, really.

When I was seriously looking at these many said the 9mm was the best of the whole line up. Not to insinuate the rest are poor.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Gerry, perhaps a new thread for you to set running?

Vg idea Alan, but after a couple of years of trying to find out-nothing.

I just threw it out there on the off chance someone might know as related to Baader COO. Not sure if many know but Baader bought out Zeiss's inventory and design info when Zeiss left the astro world. This is how it was explained to me.

No big deal really.

Edited by jetstream
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

I never was doubting the eyepieces, I was doubting the suppliers claim of Made in Germany.
Morpheus get rave reviews here and on other forums.

Nor was I trying to be sarcastic, just expressing my fondness of my 9mm.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jetstream said:

.... Not sure if many know but Baader bought out Zeiss's inventory and design info when Zeiss left the astro world. This is how it was explained to me.

Steve at FLO explained this to me a couple of years ago. It is an interesting piece of information.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John said:

Steve at FLO explained this to me a couple of years ago. It is an interesting piece of information.

Years ago I bought a Baader prism diag that was said to have a true Zeiss prism. If performance is any indication I believe it. I would tend to think that Zeiss had some input on Baaders coatings, which I find to be superb. The Morpheus ,BCO benefits greatly from these I think.

• Like 1

On 11/07/2020 at 14:46, jetstream said:

What I'm very interested in is where that superb 95mm APO by Baader is made- rumours in the coffee shop say is bests the Astro Physics... and others.

anybody know?

ps when I asked Baader they wouldn't reveal where the optics came from...

I didn't know of that scope but can see it's a CaF² !!

Most Baader gear is affordable or within reason that isn't but I'm sure it'll  be 

world class.

Brian

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Solar B said:

I didn't know of that scope but can see it's a CaF² !!

Most Baader gear is affordable or within reason that isn't but I'm sure it'll  be 

world class.

Brian

I have been told by an astronomer whose opinion I highly respect that this scope is at the very top of the food chain... the only contender I would think out there is the TSA102 but this is a total guess.

Baaders former association with Zeiss has greatly benefited the astro community. Everyone wants top optics, but not the price tag- this 95mm Baader APO is an example of a no holds barred top quality optic- that has a limited market. How many would buy a Baader Classic ortho at $800.00 USD each? Espc when the 10mm BCO comes very close at a hundred bucks...

What Baader is trying to do in general is provide the best possible optics at an affordable price IMHO. The Baader Morpheus is a great example of quality at a price point that will sell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do know that the Baader 95 Travel Companion has a very, very long waiting list. So long in fact that Baader are not currently accepting new orders.

That sounds rather like the AP's so perhaps AP are involved ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John said:

I do know that the Baader 95 Travel Companion has a very, very long waiting list. So long in fact that Baader are not currently accepting new orders.

That sounds rather like the AP's so perhaps AP are involved ?

My next comment could hinge on a question: does Astro Physics make their own lenses from crystals they grow themselves?

If so there might be a possibility if not then I doubt any association but don't know. There is a bit of a performance difference between these 2 fine top scopes possibly.

15 minutes ago, jetstream said:

the only contender I would think out there is the TSA102 but this is a total guess.

I must re frame this comment- there might be APM inspired LZOS lensed scopes out there around this aperture that compete.

On 10/07/2020 at 18:38, Louis D said:

I had always thought the ETX scopes were originally made in the US.  I didn't realize they were getting them from JOC all along.

I think the ETX scopes may pre-date Meade's association with JOC, so the earliest versions may have been made in the US.

But from ~1997-1998 to 2011, they were from JOC.

They are now from another Chinese mfr.  I think I know who it is, but I am not sure.  The better Meade refractors seem to be from KUO, as they look exactly the same and have identical specs.

6 hours ago, John said:

I expect you will have seen this Gerry but it's a good article:

http://scopeviews.co.uk/FourInchBG2019.htm#_Toc26869850

Excellent info John and it seems as if the lens is made in Germany. The article speaks highly of both the LZOS 100/ 800mm and also the TSA 102. If my TSA 120 is any indication of all Taks triplets they are right up there.

But then there are those pesky 130mm APO triplets- one like you have and also the Tak TOA 130... that are supposed to be a step up again. I can't fathom how the views could be better than the TSA 120 but I'm open to it. Possibly colour rendition?

The TSA 120 has a very neutral cool tone- I wanted this scope to excel on Saturn believe it or not and am not disappointed to say the least.

Whatever the case, anyone using a Morpheus eyepiece wont be lacking IMHO. I'd like to hear how deep they go-anyone?

Edited by jetstream
  • Like 1