Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

MN190 Advice needed

I am looking for a new imaging scope of around 1000mm FL to match with my Atik 460EXM. This is to enable me to image some of the smaller items that my GT81 cannot manage. I am interested in the MN190 but see very little mentioned about it anywhere. My mount is the CEM120 so will handle its weight easily. It will also be Observatory mounted so should not suffer from any wind buffeting. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I think the MN190 is a very capable imaging scope, my brother ( @Tomatobro on SGL) images with one on an EQ6-R Pro and Atik 383, here is an example image.

Housing it in a wind protected observatory is a good idea, it is a bit of a sail.

16886844-4771-4D7F-9C55-F642D1F6F4F0.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tomato said:

I think the MN190 is a very capable imaging scope, my brother ( @Tomatobro on SGL) images with one on an EQ6-R Pro and Atik 383, here is an example image.

Housing it in a wind protected observatory is a good idea, it is a bit of a sail.

16886844-4771-4D7F-9C55-F642D1F6F4F0.jpeg

That is nice. Thank you. It seems to tick the boxes. Is the focuser up to the job of handling the CCD, wheel and OAG?

• Like 1

I’m very happy with mine.

M82Ha.thumb.png.9ede7ac64e0ecba8f97132344a61613b.png

Collimation takes a bit of effort to get it spot on but holds well once set. Std focuser isn’t a complete disaster but needs an upgrade if it is to make a decent job of holding a cam, OAG and wheel. I have a Moonlite with stepper control which works well for me.

• Like 1

Go for it while you can. Yesterday @gorann notified me of this:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=183924

It's a great scope. Skywatcher have upgraded parts of it over time. The low profile focuser works well with my asi camera + filter wheel and oag. But I had to correct the wobble in the built in extension tube to get it where it is now. A strip of aluminium tape on the tube fixed it in place.

• Thanks 1

My focuser is equipped with a skywatcher dc remote focus kit and it holds the 383 and filter wheel ok. When mounting the camera and wheel it is possible push the tube in a little. An upgrade to a moonlite might happen one day but the standard focuser works ok.

I set up and take down for each session

Edited by Tomatobro
update

After reading old threads about this scope, I got the impression that it's easy to mess upp collimation if you replace the focuser. The critical distance in this scope is between the corrector plate and the secondary mirror. If you can't mount the replacement focuser in exactly the same position as the original, you may be in trouble.

This may be of interest:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=140193

(Mind you, that discussion is 5 years old)

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Necromancing this thread. I finally collected my MN190 last week from Peter Drew at the Astronomy Centre (Wonderful person and Centre. Very inspirational) I had agreed to buy it off Peter last August time but various lockdowns got in the way.

First impressions are that it is a substantial piece of equipment. I have already attached my Lakeside focuser and may do the bit of aluminium strip inside the extension to stabilise it. Atik 460 off getting serviced in preparation for the new season. I was going to send off my CEM120 for a service but may may well hold off until i get to see how it performs without one (i was getting guided 10 minute subs before but it was with a light WO GT81).

As I am Observatory based with a dome i do not foresee wind buffeting becoming an issue.

I may resurrect this thread from time to time if I have any observations that i feel worth sharing. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Camera returned with new main board and temperature sensor. Now need to wait 6 weeks to put it on scope. I Have just had surgery to re attach my bicep muscle and severed tendons in my shoulder. I am in a sling 24/7 for 6 weeks with NO movement allowed. Looking forward to a new season with new targets with this scope and the 460.

2 hours ago, m.tweedy said:

I Have just had surgery to re attach my bicep muscle and severed tendons in my shoulder. I am in a sling 24/7 for 6 weeks with NO movement allowed. Looking forward to a new season with new targets with this scope and the 460.

Ouch! that's tough. Get well soon!

• Like 1