Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sky Atlas and which one is best?

I've got both the "Cambridge Star Atlas" (3rd edition) & "Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas". The latter is ring bound & smaller, so I've found it more useful when I'm out at night with binoculars. It doesn't have as many stars plotted as the hard bound Cambridge Star Atlas, but does have constellation lines marked.

I like both though & you can pick up a 3rd edition copy of the Cambridge Star Atlas very cheaply.

Cheers
Ivor

5 minutes ago, Aramcheck said:

I've got both the "Cambridge Star Atlas" (3rd edition) & "Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas". The latter is ring bound & smaller, so I've found it more useful when I'm out at night with binoculars. It doesn't have as many stars plotted as the hard bound Cambridge Star Atlas, but does have constellation lines marked.

I like both though & you can pick up a 3rd edition copy of the Cambridge Star Atlas very cheaply.

Cheers
Ivor

Thanks so much Ivor for responding. Do you know what the difference would be between the 3rd and 4th edition of the Cambridge Star Atlas? The 4th edition is approx £25

Edited by Dannomiss

The S&T Pocket Sky Atlas for use at the scope and Interstellarum for further reference. To my mind those two complement each other rather than compete.

• Like 1

Books are nice especially for comfy chairs by the fireside and cloudy nights :)

you have nodoubt considered downloadable ones, there are many, but one I have found very usable to print for 'in the field' is by Toshimi Taki

http://takitoshimi.starfree.jp/atlas/atlas.htm

http://takitoshimi.starfree.jp/index.htm

Perhaps I like it because he started, like me, with Norton's Star Atlas epoch1950 :)

Norton is good because it does not overwhelm with too many all at once stars and has a modest list of interesting objects for each chart. A bit dated now but you can have fun with epochs ;) Even epoch2000 is beginning to be a bit dated :(

I have and use Norton's Star Atlas. I have three [hardback] editions:

• 17th... / epoch: 1950.0
  • 18th... / epoch: 2000.0
  • 20th... / epoch: 2000.0*

I use the following electronic star atlases on my iPhone too:

• Tri-Atlas
  • Wil Tirion's Star Atlas

* more/updated information is included in the Reference Handbook section.

• Like 1

Software-wise I use (all free):

- Cartes-du-Ciel

- Stellarium

- Virtual Moon Atlas

- Virtual Planet Atlas

I've had a couple of versions of Starrynight but I didn't get on with those.

I have Skysafari 5 Pro on my mobile and a tablet but I don't use those devices when I'm observing. My main use for the mobile phone is occasionally snapping pics of the moon !

I've got a copy of Nortons somewhere but much prefer the S&T Pocket Sky Atlas which has become an indispensable observing tool for me.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dannomiss said:

Thanks so much Ivor for responding. Do you know what the difference would be between the 3rd and 4th edition of the Cambridge Star Atlas? The 4th edition is approx £25

My 4th edition Cambridge atlas is ring bound. It's a very detailed publication.

Steve

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dannomiss said:

the 4th edition was published in 2014. The 3rd was originally published in 1991 but has been revised since. Mine was printed 2005. As most stars don't move that much relative to each other I'm happy with the older version.

Cheers
Ivor

PS mine is the hardback, which isn't as useful at the eyepiece, but each page has more sky on it than the Pocket Atlas, which can be advantageous...

Edited by Aramcheck
PS added
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dannomiss said:

Absolutely and I think its the way I may go... like this...

Ah yes, an app for all seasons :)

which reminds me, I once tried one of those with my android tablet and was disconcerted to find that the tube on my 300p was magnetic :( and discombuberated things - but that wont affect your Heritage , , well not till you get aperture fever :)

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of printable so you can make observing notes as well, (without destroying night vision by turning on a screen ) and then file  for posterity 🤣

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Corncrake said:

Ah yes, an app for all seasons :)

which reminds me, I once tried one of those with my android tablet and was disconcerted to find that the tube on my 300p was magnetic :( and discombuberated things - but that wont affect your Heritage , , well not till you get aperture fever :)

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of printable so you can make observing notes as well, (without destroying night vision by turning on a screen ) and then file  for posterity 🤣

Definitely going to print some out so I can make notes 🙂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, John said:

Software-wise I use (all free):

- Cartes-du-Ciel

- Stellarium

- Virtual Moon Atlas

- Virtual Planet Atlas

I've had a couple of versions of Starrynight but I didn't get on with those.

I have Skysafari 5 Pro on my mobile and a tablet but I don't use those devices when I'm observing. My main use for the mobile phone is occasionally snapping pics of the moon !

I've got a copy of Nortons somewhere but much prefer the S&T Pocket Sky Atlas which has become an indispensable observing tool for me.

I like the following

- skymap
- Sky Safari
- Virtual moon App now 🙂

From what I have seen of S&T Pocket Sky Atlas - I like it and prefer its layout and design

• Like 1

I for got to mention in my earlier reply, that I was given a photocopy of the star charts from a copy of Norton's Star Atlas by Dr. Peter Hemphill of Sonning Common. He was a dedicated lunar, galaxy & DSO observer. It is my way of saying "Thank you!" for taking me to the monthly meetings of Reading Astronomical Society RAS_Text_BackTrans.gif.28255d92ee93aca07cbf3db501132bce.gif and the times we would spend viewing the night sky with his homemade 'Newtonian' reflector.

• Like 1

I have a copy of the Sky Atlas 2000 Deluxe Edition, spiral bound. I bought it about 10 years ago for around £100 I think. I have just looked on Amazon now and saw that the paperback version was over £400 and the spiral bound version nearly £300!!!! I know they may be cheaper elsewhere but those prices are amazing. It is however a beautiful atlas and I have always been hesitant about using it as I don’t want to mark it....it’s too pretty!!!....but that also makes it pretty useless......I just like to leaf through it now and then.....maybe I’ll look at selling it with those prices.....or just have it shrink wrapped 😀

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sky-Atlas-2000-0-2ed-Deluxe/dp/0521627621#mediamatrixmobile_secondary_view_div_1594055553742

• Like 1

I would say the Pocket Sky Atlas for use at the scope and Interstellarum for really mapping things out in detail. Though I think there is still a field edition of Interstellarum which works well at the scope too. I use both at the scope. I also have the Cambridge Double Star Atlas. Those three plus a moon map are what I use. It covers pretty much everything for me. 

Edited by Dr Strange
  • Like 3

The Pocket Sky Atlas gets my vote, especially if you are a relative newcomer to the hobby. It's small, and spiral bound, so easier to use than the Cambridge (which is a nice "fireside cold evenings" resource, and also available spiral bound, but a bit big for field use I feel).

I can't speak for the online/digital atlases, as for me, the last thing I want to look at outside is my phone screen - I see enough of that during the day!

Like John, I do take the odd photo of the moon etc (and some of them are Very Odd!) with my phone now and again, but I find that manually holding my phone above the eyepiece is usually more trouble than it's worth..maybe I should get a mobile phone holder, but my new Android phone has its camera at the side of the phone rather than in the centre, so I'm not sure it would even be compatible with most holders?

I also find that it helps me to pre -prepare an observing list before going outside, and maybe have a pair of binoculars handy to help finding fainter objects if the sky is bright due to Light Pollution, the Moon, or high summer, like now, when it never gets properly dark...although most scopes have a finder, binoculars are very easy to use, comfortable due to using both eyes, and so useful to narrow down your initial search area so you can then use your finder to align your main scope.

HTH 🙂

Dave

Edited by F15Rules