Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ha and oiii filters with moon and no astrodarkness

iwols

I find that with my Chroma 3nm, imaging in a full moon is doable, but not if the target is in the general direction of the moon.  Careful target selection ie facing away from the moon means I can use it and get perfectly useable data.  However, I don't find the Oiii quite so accommodating or forgiving, although still useable if using the same care with target selection.

As a rule of thumb I try to keep approximately 45 degrees or more away from the moon with my targets when using Oiii (slightly less with Ha).

• Like 2

One thing to remember is that people who are imaging with 3nm filters are investing huge quantities of money into their imaging.  Their other kit is also likely to be high end and they are likely to have a zero compromise approach when it comes to their imaging.  Each channel will be given many hours of total exposure and a good strategy when doing this is to collect Ha when there is a significant moon and OIII when the moon isn't an issue.  The solar reflection from the moon will affect OIII images more than Ha.

For less high brow imaging an OIII filter will perform surprisingly well even with quite a large moon provided you aren't pointing too close.  Yes, you will have more background sky brightness and less contrast but for cutting your teeth NB imaging teeth you will be fine.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iwols said:

7nm and 8.5

I took an image on the 21st June with a 7nm Ha filter.  We have zero astro darkness here, but it performed favourably.  However Oiii doesnt perform as well, and I wouldn’t bother at this time of year or with the moon about. 

• Like 1