Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

pocket atlas measuring device.

bomberbaz

At a loose end and just looking over S&T sky atlas when my mind drew back to devising some kind of template to aid with measuring out distance on the sky atlas for when planning a star hop or similar.

Previously I had tried making one with a thick celophane type sheeting but it was to dificult to work with.

I had a spare bit of foam from a once mouse mat, so I got to work with it, a compass and sharp knife and came up with this. 

finder.JPG.ed0ee2c78651546ef53d18c7fcea129a.JPG

Not the best cutting out I know but it covers 12 degrees on the pocket atlas. The centre is 4 degree exactly as a telrad. I got the inspiration from a moonshane sticky on star hopping but wanted something that can measure over a longer distance.

TBH I am surprised no-one produces something along these lines in a clear resin or plastic material to help with star hopping. Unless they do.

Anybody else got anything they use as an aid to planning star hops?

• Like 1

There are transparent overlays available for atlases like the Uranometria 2000.0 (like this one). I believe the Sky Atlas 2000.0 has them included by default. Maybe they are available for the PSA too? You can also print a design yourself on a transparent film suitable for your printer, or draw it manually on it.

Edited by Waddensky
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Waddensky said:

There are transparent overlays available for atlasses like the Uranometria 2000.0 (like this one). I believe the Sky Atlas 2000.0 has them included by default. Maybe they are available for the PSA too? You can also print a design yourself on a transparent film suitable for your printer, or draw it manually on it.

Yeah I read about this now you remind me but where would I get a print template for such. 4 degrees on the PSA is 19 mm

Edited by bomberbaz
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Yeah I read about this now you remind me but where would I get a print template for such. 4 degrees on the PSA is 19 mm

Maybe it's as simple as drawing a few circles of different sizes in Inkscape and print them out on transparent sheets? No idea what the quality is of those prints but worth a try 🙂. You can draw circles the size of the field of view of your eyepieces too.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Waddensky said:

Maybe it's as simple as drawing a few circles of different sizes in Inkscape and print them out on transparent sheets? No idea what the quality is of those prints but worth a try 🙂. You can draw circles the size of the field of view of your eyepieces too.

I just had a play in word and I managed ( somehow! 🤣 ) to create circles of the right size for 4, 6, 8, 10 & 12 degree and it fits on one sheet of paper. Just need acetate now and I should be good to go.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, it did help me think it through clearer.

Steve

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, procky1845 said:

I just use one of these (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00290KWWA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_LTboFbWF5HAP1) and note which measurement matches the FOV for each eyepiece. Doesn't blow away easily if the wind picks up and if you add new EPs to your collection you've probably already got a circle that matches it.

cheers just got myself on order one of these albeit made by Maped

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B001B2NBWU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1