NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sol - 2020 June 23

Hughsie

Another slow day in solar terms, however, ever the optimist I gave it a go this morning and picked up some small prominences.

Two images shared below;

1) Full disc taken 07:45:58 UT. Exposure time 2.649ms, Gain 0. Frames taken 511, best 25% used.

2) North east limb 07:56:56. Exposure time 10.185ms, Gain 0. Frames taken 214, best 25% used.

Equipment used;

• Lunt LS60THa/B1200CPT
  • ZWO ASI174mm
  • SkyWatcher SolarQuest
  • 2.5x Powermate used on image (2).

Software;

• Captured using SharpCap Pro.
  • Stacked using AutoStakkert2.
  • Tone curves and initial sharpening in the free software imPGG.
  • De-hazing, contrast adjustments, embossing, curves and colour added in Affinity Photo.

As for the colours, sometimes you just have to go where the mood takes you. Hope you like them.

Thank you for checking in.

John

08_45_58_FD_Col.png

08_56_56_NEL_COL.png

Edited by Hughsie
  • Like 10

OOHH! i have never seen the solar disc in lime green! i am totally loving that! amazing how an image I've seen a thousand times can look so new. You've just inspired me to get into solar imaging again after some bad attempts.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sunshine said:

OOHH! i have never seen the solar disc in lime green! i am totally loving that! amazing how an image I've seen a thousand times can look so new. You've just inspired me to get into solar imaging again after some bad attempts.

Thank you Sunshine, made my day reading your comment. Happy imaging!

Hi, Fantastic image. Im a new at the solar game and have just got my first bsolar scope also i have just got hold of Affinity. After using PI for deep sky stuff Im struggling to get to grips with Affinity, especially the embossing filter. How do  youn get it to work?

Hi Simmo,

With embossing, I first make sure that i have flattened the image so that all previous actions are combined into one layer. I then copy the image using Cmd c (ctrl C) then paste it as a new layer above the original.

I then select emboss and ramp up the strength to 300%. Usually 1 pixel works or there about then you can play around with the angle to you get something suitable. When done I change the view (next to ‘opacity’) from normal to soft light. 

Hope that helps.

1 hour ago, Hughsie said:

Hi Simmo,

With embossing, I first make sure that i have flattened the image so that all previous actions are combined into one layer. I then copy the image using Cmd c (ctrl C) then paste it as a new layer above the original.

I then select emboss and ramp up the strength to 300%. Usually 1 pixel works or there about then you can play around with the angle to you get something suitable. When done I change the view (next to ‘opacity’) from normal to soft light. 

Hope that helps.

Hi, thanks. Ill give it a go. Im finding affinity abit of game at the moment, think its just me being so used to using PI.