Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

beginner astronomy book

What is you are interested in pal? Are you looking for an all round all-purpose guide to the universe or something more specific or tailored to a certain area?

I haven't read that book sorry BUT... I do have this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stars-Definitive-Visual-Guide-Cosmos/dp/0241226023/ref=pd_lpo_14_t_0/257-0916732-7095914?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0241226023&pd_rd_r=123be89c-23e7-40e6-ba5e-2c824caa95b5&pd_rd_w=rMi90&pd_rd_wg=zIolz&pf_rd_p=7b8e3b03-1439-4489-abd4-4a138cf4eca6&pf_rd_r=0FXJ9JPH5E79NW2G7XYM&psc=1&refRID=0FXJ9JPH5E79NW2G7XYM

And I really like it - has some amazing facts, illustrations, a big section about planets, suns, nebulas - and also a huge section at the back with great maps of the night sky and where everything is.

Hi there are lots of different types of 'introduction to...' books - it depends on what you're looking for. I don't recognise the one you're looking at. If you just want a general overview of what's in the sky, background info on what is a planet, a comet, a meteor, a star etc then that's one type of book. Another type is a beginner's guide to the night sky type of thing. There are more theory based ones looking at history of astronomy and cosmology etc.  

The description of the book you've listed indicates it a classroom book?

Have a look through the book pages here for some ideas from the FLO site (I realise you're in NZ). https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books.html

On 23/06/2020 at 22:49, Sunshine said:

Look for this book on Amazon, it is the beginners bible.

classifieds-180233-0-97313400-1587065994.jpg

That's a book for telescope astronomy specifically. While an excellent book indeed, it may not be great for those just interested in astronomy in general which is what the OP asked. 

• Like 1