Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lovely Looking Alt Az Mount on ENS Optical

AdeKing

Not sure where to post this so if its not deemed appropriate for here mods then feel free to move it.

I'm not looking at buying this, but wondered whether or not anyone has any idea of its origin as I think its a beautiful looking aluminium Alt Az mount with 175mm ID tube rings.

I haven't added photos as they belong to ENS Optical and I have no association with it or any interest in helping ENS to sell it.

I just think its a beautiful mount.

http://ensoptical.co.uk/nice-handmade-aluminium-telescope-mount

It reminds me of something that you'd see for sale from Moonraker Telescopes but am just interested to know a bit more about it.

The setup of the head looks like a Richard Berry type mount for a large refractor but with the addition of worm gears and slow-mo controls.

Anybody seen one like this before or have any idea of where it might have originated.

Thanks,

Ade

• Like 1

I remember it vividly, and as I can't imagine there being two of these mounts, I'm pretty certain it originated up north  (Manchester / Pendlebury way), and was constructed by someone from Lucas Aerospace or so i was informed at the time. Don't let its impressive appearance fool you. I had the chance to use this mount, which at the time carried a rather lovely 5" F11 uncoated achromat after it was loaned to my friend Phil for a short time. This was around 1999 to 2001 ish. The achromat gave spectacular views of Jupiter, but the mount, for all its beauty, had so much movement in it that it was rendered virtually useless. The whole thing moves at everyone of its many joints. I wouldn't pay anywhere near the asking price. It's probably worth a couple of hundred quid. It is possibly THE worst mount I've ever used. Sorry, but that's how it was! Unless someone somehow has massively improved it since then, I'd steer clear. 

My opinion should in no way reflect badly on ENS Optical, as ENS are a wonderful company to deal with!

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

I remember it vividly, and as I can't imagine there being two of these mounts, I'm pretty certain it originated up north  (Manchester / Pendlebury way), and was constructed by someone from Lucas Aerospace or so i was informed at the time. Don't let its impressive appearance fool you. I had the chance to use this mount, which at the time carried a rather lovely 5" F11 uncoated achromat after it was loaned to my friend Phil for a short time. This was around 1999 to 2001 ish. The achromat gave spectacular views of Jupiter, but the mount, for all its beauty, had so much movement in it that it was rendered virtually useless. The whole thing moves at everyone of its many joints. I wouldn't pay anywhere near the asking price. It's probably worth a couple of hundred quid. It is possibly THE worst mount I've ever used. Sorry, but that's how it was! Unless someone somehow has massively improved it since then, I'd steer clear. 

Thanks Mike,

I had no intention of buying it, but was impressed by its looks.

Its very steampunk rather like Moonraker Telescopes and I really like the look of it, but it sounds like its a bad case of form over function then.

Just goes to show that appearances can be deceptive as it looks like quite a substantial piece of kit at first glance.

Ade

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

My opinion should in no way reflect badly on ENS Optical, as ENS are a wonderful company to deal with!

Apart from that, Mike, would you say it’s OK?

🙂

• Haha 6

I have seen this mount before - it's been for sale reasonably recently I think.

Interesting that the amazing looking construction does not translate into a good mount to use.

I think I was quite tempted by it back when I was looking for a mount for my 6 inch F/12 achromat. I'm very glad that I didn't take the plunge having read Mike's assessment !

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Apart from that, Mike, would you say it’s OK?

🙂

If it still had that 5" F11 achromat attached it would be a great buy! However, for £750 you're in Lozmandy AZ8 territory, and I know which I'd prefer. Sorry if I came across as opinionated, but to me £750 is a lot of money, and I'd hate for someone with limited funds to be disappointed. ☺

• Like 3