Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Don’t know if dustcap is the correct translation but i mean the frontcap on the telescope.  The big one thats very important to remove when looking through it.  One of mine is a bit loose.  And the aluminium cap is, besides the noise from being loose, also coming of very easy.   I see 2 pieces of thin tape but the third, to keep it tight, is missing. Does the astro community sell tape especially for these situation?  I tried all sort of cotton tapes but non of them worked well.  Ended up using a thin piece of band aid.  But even that was too thick and had let a bit of the glue come out on the outside.  So the cap was fixed more then i hoped with this tape

DC644F09-F5CF-461D-A427-A166C65E4A79.jpeg

That’s a very fancy looking cap. Looks like the clearance is very small. Not sure what to suggest really as any tape will likely snag and end up peeling off. Can you maybe get some self adhesive silk ribbon from somewhere? That should be thinner than Elastoplast.  Or maybe clean it thoroughly with acetone  then run a thin line of superglue along the height of the rim and let it set hard, then repeat at 120 deg spacing? Not sure it wouldn’t just flake off as anodised aluminium is pretty non-stick though but it might work

• Thanks 1

There is no special tape sold for this purpose. I don't know what scope the dust cap is from but they are all different so it is a case of finding something suitable in a DIY store that give you the fit that you want over the end of the scope.

3 pieces of tape will give a more even fit than 2.

• Thanks 1

Oh maybe good idea to tru that silk ribbon.   I hoped some manufacturer made a special tape for these problems.  Also camera/photography related problems i guess.  Just dont know for what to google?!   I am going to try find that silk ribbon.  Thx

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John said:

There is no special tape sold for this purpose. I don't know what scope the dust cap is from but they are all different so it is a case of finding something suitable in a DIY store that give you the fit that you want over the end of the scope.

3 pieces of tape will give a more even fit than 2.

Its for this scope.  And i dont know whats original inside the cap because I bought it secondhand.  Have another same type scope with the same cap but other color and size.  This cap has a soft almost like velcro tape in it.  But the space between cap and the scope is so small.   Its almost tight with these 2 pieces of tape seen on the photo.  

6AFE257D-CA61-4CFC-AA20-BD839182A663.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Robindonne said:

Its for this scope.  And i dont know whats original inside the cap because I bought it secondhand.  Have another same type scope with the same cap but other color and size.  This cap has a soft almost like velcro tape in it.  But the space between cap and the scope is so small.   Its almost tight with these 2 pieces of tape seen on the photo.  

6AFE257D-CA61-4CFC-AA20-BD839182A663.jpeg

I recognize that scope/hand/Jedi gown :D its me. I use sticky backed felt from a craft shop in all instances where I need a padded spacer like camera lens foot rings, protective caps etc.

Alan

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

I recognize that scope/hand/Jedi gown :D its me. I use sticky backed felt from a craft shop in all instances where I need a padded spacer like camera lens foot rings, protective caps etc.

Alan

Oh great.  I hoped this photo triggered you again🙂.   So you mean you also had no tape inside the cap? Was it original sold without?  Ill will try the felt option also.   But it must be very thin.  Otherwise it just rolls up when putting on the cap.  

4 minutes ago, Robindonne said:

Oh great.  I hoped this photo triggered you again🙂.   So you mean you also had no tape inside the cap? Was it original sold without?  Ill will try the felt option also.   But it must be very thin.  Otherwise it just rolls up when putting on the cap.  

My scope was brand new and had no felt etc inside the dust cap, I bought some very thin sticky felt for it cut into 3 small pieces..

Alan

• Thanks 1