Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher 200p focusing and eyepiece question

20 hours ago, Ricochet said:

Try astroboot. I would also query the seller in case they have the original part or there is some reason why it is not needed in this case.

With respect to your focusing issue, point the telescope at the moon. If you stand back from the telescope while it is pointed at the moon you should see a small, bright doughnut shape in the centre of the 25mm eyepiece. Bring your eye to the eyepiece so that this doughnut expands and fills your vision. This is the point that your eye needs to be to see the image. As I don't know the eye relief of these eyepieces I suggest you do it without glasses. Once you have your eye in the correct position, turn the focuser knob and you should see that the doughnut shrinks in one direction. Keep turning the focuser in that direction until the moon comes in to focus. It is likely that you will need to rack the focuser outwards. If you reach the end of focuser travel without reaching focus, or the doughnut starting to shrink, try to carefully withdraw the eyepiece whilst looking through it. If this brings the moon into focus, or starts to shrink the doughnut, then you definitely need the extension/adaptor.

The highlighted advice worked wonders last night! 

I racked the focuser fully outwards and then pulled the eyepiece as far as possible and the moon was in-focus with my eye in the correct position. I pushed it back in again and it was out of focus. So as you said it looks like I need the longer adapter - but at least I can start using it.

Is pulling the eyepiece out a 'normal' focussing technique?

Many thanks for everyone's help!

Focuser.jpg

Edited by Liquid-sun
Added a question

Thats not normal. Normally an eyepiece is fully inserted and the focuser would be somewhere in the middle of it;s range of travel when the scope is at sharp focus on an astro target.

Not all eyepieces reach focus at the same place so you need some movement available to be able to use them.

11 minutes ago, John said:

Thats not normal. Normally an eyepiece is fully inserted and the focuser would be somewhere in the middle of it;s range of travel when the scope is at sharp focus on an astro target.

Not all eyepieces reach focus at the same place so you need some movement available to be able to use them.

Ok, thanks for another confirmation. Time to source the extension.

4 hours ago, Liquid-sun said:

Is pulling the eyepiece out a 'normal' focussing technique?

Only in the event that you have an eyepiece that needs more outward travel than your focuser has and you need to work out what size extension tube to buy. In normal use you want the eyepiece to be held securely. 

On 27/05/2020 at 11:08, JOC said:

That's a neat idea John pity I didn't think of that before I made the bigger cover!!  LOL

Edit.  Given the comment below perhaps John's idea could still be deployed if an additional cardboard shape was firmly glued into place thus sandwiching the film in place and then care taken when storing the cover - which should be checked before use, to ensure the film isn't damaged.

Mind you it doesn't apply in my case as I have a the full home-made cover pictured anyway.

You will get much better resolution with the full aperture filter you made, so stick with that!

• Like 2