Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Power supply help please

Hi Everyone

I have a Nexstar 6SE. It eats up batteries. I would like to get a power supply or two, one AC  and one DC. I have seen a few " wall wart" style power supplies, so not so worried about that. I am sure i can find a good device.  My question relates to a good DC power source.

I thought about the Celestron 7Ah which also has the benefit of USB ports and a lamp which would be useful.

What are your opinions on a DC power source?

Many thanks

Dave

Just make sure that any AC power supply you buy is a regulated one and of sufficient amperage. Not a good idea to use one of the cheap common ones that isn’t regulated output.

The Celestron 7ah is OK but has had a few failures as well. I like the Tracer LiFeP04 batteries but not cheap but are top quality.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

There are many possible solutions. For an AC source, make sure it is regulated, has sufficient amperage and (preferably) is rated for outside use and temperature extremes.  However I use a battery even in the backyard rather than have the faff and hazard of a trailing AC mains able.

For DC, the astronomy power tanks are popular, also auto engine starters, and sealed lead acid batteries with the appropriate cabling attached. If you are just running the mount, one charge will last for many nights.  I have a LiFePo power pack - expensive but long lasting, and it doubled as a worklight for working under my car.

Edited by Cosmic Geoff
  • Like 1

Also, something I have done is use the 12v rails from an old 300w PC power supply. The yellow cable is the 12v positive and the ground is just the black wire next to it. Free if you have one spare and you get lovely buttery smooth 12v dc.