Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bodes and a cigar - reprocessed 2 years on....

geoflewis

I captured the data for this in Feb 2018, but was disappointed that with 12 hours of data I was unable to reveal barely any of IFN that floods this region, so with summer bright skies, the wind howling outside and CV lockdown into it's 3rd month, I thought I'd have another go at processing the data....

392494080_M81M82_LHaRGB(rework)_IP_PS.thumb.jpg.6331081a2e414409c2e323b5b27a9805.jpg

I think I've learnt a few things in the past 2 years, so the IFN is now showing and I just about hung onto the galaxies, though they are on the edge of being blown out of the sky. For anyone interested here the original thread with my previous attempts.

No new data has been added, just vastly different processing. I think that maybe I can still improve on this, so I may start over again before too long.

All comments welcome.

Edited by geoflewis
added link to previous attempts
  • Like 11

5 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

Much better Geof. You're dancing on a razor edge between nebulosity and galaxies.

Thanks Mark, this one certainly took me out of my comfort zone - which is a good thing. I look back at some of my images from a few years ago and realise that I was using GradX, NR and levels to set the black point, to get rid of what I thought was noise and now realise it was possibly faint nebulosity in the background..... 🤔

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, don4l said:

What a result!

Very impressive.

8 minutes ago, carastro said:

Amazing difference.  I often go back and reprocess things I have done before and got a much better result 2nd time around.

The IFN is showing really well now.

Carole 

Thanks Donal and Carole. I can see me going back and looking at some more old data over the coming months.

So having started I couldn't leave this image alone and decided to see if I could blend in the HiRes individual M81 & M82 galaxies captured in Jan & Feb this year, mainly to enhance the Ha regions....

2104736171_M81M82_LHaRGB(HiRes)_IP_PS.thumb.jpg.6ffe0dd5b518ef4161e9a9c4df66566d.jpg

Well it was something to try - I'll stop now....