Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Draco Trio

Desperate to image something whilst waiting for Cygnus etc to get above the murk I have been concentrating on this little trio of galaxies that I hadn't heard of before searching the area for something to image. I managed to get 14 x 15m subs in Lum over a couple of nights and last night 6x5 mins of RG and B. 

Apart from the grunt work of calibration which was done in PI the finishing up was done in my new best image processing s/w Affinity in which I have achieved better noise reduction than I ever did in PI! Admittedly this is more data than I normally average on one object.

U97-5ehzrhN__1824x0_sWXLOnwG.jpg

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, Waddensky said:

What a wonderful, detailed and colourful image, thanks for sharing! Lots of background galaxies too. I didn't know about these either, are they in the NGC?

Many thanks. Here's the cat numbers etc...

NGC5985_WF_PS.jpg

• Like 3

This is a cracking image John. I saw it over on AB, so came here to look for it. I've never imaged these 3, so also had a look in Stellarium at how it frames with my C14 rig and it would work well with the correct camera orientation. I'm not sure how easy it would be now there is no astro dark, but definitely one for the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geoflewis said:

This is a cracking image John. I saw it over on AB, so came here to look for it. I've never imaged these 3, so also had a look in Stellarium at how it frames with my C14 rig and it would work well with the correct camera orientation. I'm not sure how easy it would be now there is no astro dark, but definitely one for the future.

Thanks Geoff, I was quite surprised to find this nice little group of galaxies especially as I have to stick to relatively high declinations and there is very little down through the slice of sky I have access to - apart from the obvious gems M51, M13 etc. It paid off sticking to one target longer than I usually do as I waited for the Cygnus area to get above the fence and by then morning was upon us. Think that may be it for now for me. I usually push on through the summer but I think the scope, mount etc need a bit of attention so now is the best time to focus on that sort of stuff.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Erling G-P said:

Very nice indeed!

Just love those 3 so different looking galaxies, but my imaging efforts so far is nowhere near what you have achieved.

Thanks Erling. Keep at it. It's taken me ten years to get to this point and I'm still just a small fish!

• Like 1

Stunning work...that scope is an awesome light-bucket! 😀

Affinity rings a bell...is it a PS alternative? I seem to recall a recent series in one of the monthly astronomy magazines where Nik Szymanek used it to good effect?? I recall its noise reduction, etc being praised.

1 hour ago, Sterrenland said:

Stunning work...that scope is an awesome light-bucket! 😀

Affinity rings a bell...is it a PS alternative? I seem to recall a recent series in one of the monthly astronomy magazines where Nik Szymanek used it to good effect?? I recall its noise reduction, etc being praised.

Thanks. I bought Affinity recently after someone on another forum mentioned the Nik Symanek article and the fact that it's half price at the moment and just £24 one of payment. Absolute bargain does everything PS can do.

• Like 1