SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sadr and Vicinity

Rodd

I finally got this data set to a point that I can live with.  I struggled with star shape and palette.  I have many versions of this image--most very gaudy..  Its not perfect by any means--but I am no longer compelled to labor over it .  I think if I had more data I would achieve a bit better definition in the dimmer regions of the frame.  Maybe I am overcompensating a bit for my earlier cartoons and could use a bit more saturation.  Though there is something to be said for the subtle approach.  I have a version, the one just before this one with a bit more noise control ( a lot more).  But the detail is finer in this one.  This image has one very small iteration of gentle noise control.

FSQ 106 with .6x reducer and ASI 1600 with Astrodon 3nm filters: Ha 53 300sec; OII: 74 300 sec; SII 70 300 sec

5-17-20c6.thumb.jpg.075119d1b7d1f5653cb2e8c703c76a91.jpg

Edited by Rodd
  • Like 21

5 minutes ago, PH-R said:

Very nice and sharp, almost like you are shooting through clouds on earth!

Almost indeed....I may have been some of the time.  Those high thin clouds are hard to spot at night.  I guess a camera for identifying clouds would be a good idea

6 minutes ago, Skyline said:

Labour of Love - Rodd 👌

or a war of attrition!  Just kidding--your right.  And its a really good example of why losing data stinks.  I have the stacks for this one thankfully.

32 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Better late than never, right?

Not sure what you mean by that - I have yet to do this area. It is on my list for around now....but want to get something else finished first. BUT....can do nothing but rework old data .....the weather has been terrible for astrophotography here in SE Spain 🙄

25 minutes ago, Kinch said:

Not sure what you mean by that

I was referring to the fact that I collected this data almost 2 years ago.  It has taken me that long to become satisfied with my processing.  This is a great region of the sky for narrow band work.  I really love broad band images too, but my sky makes  collecting broad band imaging of nebula quite challenging.  Its been terrible here as well.  Very frustrating

Well.....hopefully, I will be following in your footsteps to this area...... & really hope it does not take two years to produce an image 🤔 ( But if the weather systems don't change anytime soon.....then for sure it will. 😟)

You can be happy, even though it has taken some time.....you have produced a winner here - great stars (no artifacts around them) and some lovely fine detail. 👍

• Thanks 1

so I had a look at the i age on  my Iphone and it looked a bit too light.  So, depending on one's screen, the image may be too light.  Here is a version a bit darker.  Please let me know which you prefer. I get frustrated by screen variability.....Maybe it is still too light?

5-17-20c6b.thumb.jpg.df7aa45f3d4eba801f2fe28e3e7add62.jpg

• Mr Spock changed the title to Sadr and Vicinity

On my screen there is little between them Rodd.....nothing wrong with the original and I would have been happy with that. Hand held devices do indeed tend to have brighter images (in my experience)....so if you are wanting to please all, you would need to put up different images for different devices.....which is pretty much impractical. Stick with what looks good on your own screen....(I am sure it is well calibrated)....and don't worry about people who glance at images on their phones! When you put that much effort into an image, it deserves a look on a bigger screen. 🤔