NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What camera

Neil H

Hi every one i have an Orion optics 200/1200 on an HEQ5 i want to take photos of planets , nebula, and some deep space i dont want to spend loads as i really just do visual but just like to take some nice photos so out of this list what would you recommend 

Kind regards Neil 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/guide-cameras/zwo-asi120mm-s-usb-3-mono-camera.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075XR93HL/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_mYyVEbFXQ4Z4X

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006ZN4VE2/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_YYyVEb73MMHZM

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QDHXJSY/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_p0yVEb8AYQ375

I'd go for the ASI120. The Bresser is a rebadged Touptek, FLO used to sell Touptek but no longer do. The Neximage 5 is a lunar/planetary imager and the other is a Chinese product of unknown quantity. This one also seems to sold on Amazon under various names, probably not a good sign.

• Like 1

I will go for the colour one , it says on the FLO site that the 50deg lens can be screwed in to far and will mark the window not to focus beyond infinity  ? I can't find at thing in the manual about focus  ? , also in the Q&A for Jupiter it says use a 4 or 5x Barlow ?

Edited by Neil H

The use of a barlow makes the target take up more space, look bigger. Why not use the astronomy tool and see what you get using your telescope with this camera on different targets. Look at resources under the site menu. Then search for images of say Jupiter taken with it. Because of the sensor size do also check out that astronomy tool on various DSO. I'm not sure how noisy it is on long exposures.

The T7C is a clone of another better known brand, do a search as there's a few here that use it I believe and it's apparently not bad, was thinking to get one myself at some stage. Can't say how it'd perform for deeper sky objects but should be fine for planets and maybe as a guide camera.

The all-sky lens you wouldn't use in a scope but to use the camera stand-alone to get a wide-field sky view, tho at 50 degree it won't be particularly wide and you'd ideally want 150 or more for that purpose.

edit: here you go:

At one stage they were £75 and I was very tempted but something else needed attention. Like most things prices do seem to have gone up lately with this current situation.

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 1

tend to agree Neil and it'll perform a lot better than the T7C most likely too :) 

Plus its a known brand that will have good support and more members here able to assist you further. My thinking when I looked at it was an easy low-cost entry to play and see it it was something I wanted to explore further, then lob it into the sky-cam when upgrading ;) But to be honest I can't see myself spending the time till the wee small hours imaging, nor leaving the gear out unattended, am content to do visual and grab the odd snap at the eyepiece where I can. Will likely have a try at some long exposure shots with the proper (well, bridge) camera at some stage to see what that's capable of.

On 15/05/2020 at 13:07, Neil H said:

Hi Dave as prices go I think this may be a great buy 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-cameras/zwo-asi224mc-usb-3-colour-camera.html

Yes those are great cameras, very small sensor but at the same time very sensitive. It wont be sutied to nabula imaging as the sensor is too small for that but galaxies are possible for sure and some planetary nebulas and planets and the moon and sun with a solar filter.

If you really want to image nebula though, things like the M42 and M45 then you will be  better served with a modified DLSR at your price point.

Adam

On 15/05/2020 at 13:39, PeterCPC said:

Remember that you will need an IR cut filter with that camera.

Peter

Pritty sure that all ZWO ASI OSC cameras have an IR cut on the window its only the mono cameras that have not IR cut.

Adam

9 hours ago, Adam J said:

Pritty sure that all ZWO ASI OSC cameras have an IR cut on the window its only the mono cameras that have not IR cut.

Adam

No, this one needs an IR. I've got one so I know. From FLO website - To maximise the sensors IR performance the protective anti-reflection cover-glass does not include UV/IR cut.

Peter

Edited by PeterCPC

14 hours ago, Adam J said:

Yes those are great cameras, very small sensor but at the same time very sensitive. It wont be sutied to nabula imaging as the sensor is too small for that but galaxies are possible for sure and some planetary nebulas and planets and the moon and sun with a solar filter.

If you really want to image nebula though, things like the M42 and M45 then you will be  better served with a modified DLSR at your price point.

Adam

Hi Adam won't the dlsr route cost me more in the end the camera body is about £400 then I will need T mount guide scope etc  

Edited by Neil H

11 minutes ago, Neil H said:

Hi Adam won't the dlsr route cost me more in the end the camera body is about £400 then I will need T mount guide scope etc  

Dont buy new. I got a 450d for £100 and modified it myself when I started. Using an OSC for guiding is not optimal anyhow if you mean to switch it over at a later stage. A 1200mm focal length scope is not a good idea when starting astro imaging either. Especially with no guide scope initially. You will need to plate solve to find deep space targets with that focal length and such a small sensor too. 

Edited by Adam J

Well that went over my head lol , this telescope was sold as a scope for Astrophotography , I convert the focuser for visual , I am not getting into Astrophotography just wanted some photos that I can say I taken