Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQMod using the new USB connections on the SW NEQ6-R

Merlin66

With the addition of a USB connection port to the new SW EQ mounts, this seems to allow a standard USB cable to now be used to connect your laptop and CdC/ EQMod rather than using either the "PC direct" settings with the Synscan or an EQDir cable to the hand controller port on the mount.

Are there any user feedback/ comments on this method of connecting the mount (using EQMod)???

More reliable? or what???

Most people never use the handset \ pc direct, but use an adapter from the computer USB to serial port, by-passing the handset, and driven by an appropriate driver & EQMod, so all SW have done(on these new mounts), is killed the market for the add on adapter....

I could only get the USB connection to work with the SynScan app.

I quickly switched to using an EQDIR cable that plugs into a USB on the laptop and into the "Handset Controller" socket on the mount...

Cheers
Ivor

I have only used it to do a quick test to see if it works (which it does) so can't comment on any reliability testing

but using an rpi4 with astroberry i could only get it to work plugging the usb into the hand controller and setting it into PC direct mode.

it shows up as a prolific device 

__ Port 3: Dev 5, If 0, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=pl2303, 12M

Cedric's problem is that if the adapter device shows up as a Prolific, then its a good chance that its a cheap knock off, which are notoriously unreliable, better to get either an FTDI or CH340 chipset devices....

I'm not sure which chipset SW have used for the USB connection, but its probably an FTDI chipset, which are very reliable & solid.

Although I would normally steer clear of Prolific chipped devices it free as it comes part of the kit and maybe Prolific have learned their lessons ! Nothing to loose on a test and EQMOD wont know the difference 🙂

Biggest problem maybe getting the correct Windows driver (dont SW provide it ? ) as unlike FTDI chips installation is never straight forward with Windows/Prolific (Prolific at fault) you will most likely have to manually install the software first.

So give it a try - if its a new mount at least its guaranteed and if its crap (tech word) ask for a discount from your supplier LOL

As for RPI it doesn't use drivers for USB adapters and prolific actually work on Linux ----- when the cable isn't too long - IME(In My Experience) using older models on RPI2/RPI3.

Real Prolific chips are not Chinese as they are based it Taiwan which is the Republic of China not Peoples Republic of China which is China LOL

As for SW using Fake chips - who knows 🙂

SW do provide the Windows Driver for the chip here http://www.skywatcher.com/download/software/accessories/

"Real" Prolific Drivers here http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?pcid=41&showlevel=0017-0037-0041 - had to laugh  at this http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=155&pcid=41

I managed to connect my AZ EQ6 direct using a standard USB and Ekos, I think I upped the Baud rate and it connected perfectly. No difference to when I had it plugged into the handset other than not having to go through the set up menu to get to PCDirect mode.