NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best SOLAR FILTER

Hi,

I have an ES ED 102 Triplet Refractor telescope and ZWO ASI071 MC PRO one shot colour cooled camera.

I plan to invest on a good Solar Filter(and related accessories).  Price is not a constraint.    Can anyone please suggest the best products in the market that are available?

My need:  To capture Solar Flares / Corona details etc.  Need a high-quality one.

Also - what is the method / time to capture Corona?  Any alternative ideas, other than capturing during total Solar eclipse?

Thanks

If you want to image the solar surface and prominences in H alpha, no expense spared then look at the DAYSTAR professional filters. You’ll also need a suitable ERF.

unfortunately there is no current amateur (or for that matter professional) instruments being produced to allow viewing of the solar corona. This requires a dedicated Chronograph situated at high altitude with perfect seeing.

4 minutes ago, Freddie said:

As you say price is no constraint, on top of the 32,000 Euro you will be spending on the filter, you will also want to change your colour cam for a mono one.

The new camera would just be spare change in comparison. 🙀

• 1 month later...
On 10/05/2020 at 16:07, Sreesha74 said:

Thanks all.

Let me rephrase.  Price is a constraint :D.

Pls let me know anything in the range of daystar quark filters or lesser (less than 1000 USD).

Yes, sticker shock is a definite reaction when discussing solar imaging. The Daystar Quark is the cheapest approach, as far as I can understand, if you want to image in H-a (and it's quite fiddly, with complaints about QC variations from users).

Up to a 102mm refractor you can avoid the costly ERF filter and use only a UV/IR rejection filter in front of the Quark, as far as I understand the situation.

Also, you will get a deep red view, you will need a monochrome camera in order to be able to discern stuff (and colorize later the B&W image).

You can emulate a coronagraph with the help of an image processing tool (you overexpose the Sun disk, in order to get the prominences, then you remove automagically the white-washed parts of the disk)

N.F.

Edited by nfotis
  • Like 1