NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Zwo- Faulty camera to send to China

Rattler

8 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Did you buy it from China?, if not, then you should be going through the local dealer, especially if its still in warranty ? 

It's not under warranty anymore and I bought it second hand hence it going back to Zwo for repair. 

Shouldnt take too long... aliexpress are sending stuff to people in a week internationally from what i have read and quoting 7-14 day shipping options. DHL would be a good courier I think.

32 minutes ago, smr said:

Shouldnt take too long... aliexpress are sending stuff to people in a week internationally from what i have read and quoting 7-14 day shipping options. DHL would be a good courier I think.

A couple of days ago I got an email from Aliexpress to say that my order had been shipped. It was placed on Jan 25.

I have two other orders from mid-March. They have been stuck in Liege (Belgium) for the past 6 weeks.
The biggest issue with international shipping is that almost no flights are operating. Wholesale carriage rates have increased, too.

Hi,

This is my experience sending a QHY12 back to China for out of warranty repair.

First off with QHY you must go through their ticketing system, on their website you go to the section of raising a ticket for repair, they will then email back to you a shipping address for their repair centre, and a form to fill out, ticket number, return address, fault description etc. 

I then used Australia Post to send the camera back, air freight (no insurance) and cost in 2017 $ Aust 65.00. A week or so later I got an email for the repair bill and it was $70 for a new main board and I paid an extra $20 to have the sensor cleaned and finally $65 for return air freight . 5 weeks later Aust Post delivered it back to my door.

So please don't send the your camera back to ZWO without a Return Authority Number (or ticket number) otherwise it will sit on an in-bench somewhere in China with no paper work. 

40 minutes ago, billdan said:

Hi,

This is my experience sending a QHY12 back to China for out of warranty repair.

First off with QHY you must go through their ticketing system, on their website you go to the section of raising a ticket for repair, they will then email back to you a shipping address for their repair centre, and a form to fill out, ticket number, return address, fault description etc. 

I then used Australia Post to send the camera back, air freight (no insurance) and cost in 2017 $ Aust 65.00. A week or so later I got an email for the repair bill and it was $70 for a new main board and I paid an extra $20 to have the sensor cleaned and finally $65 for return air freight . 5 weeks later Aust Post delivered it back to my door.

So please don't send the your camera back to ZWO without a Return Authority Number (or ticket number) otherwise it will sit on an in-bench somewhere in China with no paper work. 

for the price of that camera I would have thought they would have repaired it for free....

Another vote for a 'proper' courier. DHL/UPS, etc.

If you use a postal service, then it gets handed over by Royal Mail to the local post service in the destination country. This doesn't always work out.

Then there may be barrow loads of paperwork to deal with import/export.

Some couriers (TNT named and shamed here) are of the opinion that 2nd hand or non working electronics is worth nothing.
Well OK they pay out after argument a few ££/tonne scrap value.
Been there and got the T shirt - a funny story, or set of stories for another day.
Make sure of the small print on insurance. Simply ticking a box and adding a value means you pay the premium - not necessarily get cover.
International parcels do sometimes go astray.

If you use a courier like those listed, it is door to door with one organisation handling the goods and all customs/import.
Finally using the same courier for the parcel being returned to you. This means UK import enquiries can be handled along the lines of
'Sent for repair on 01/06/2020 on your shipping document XYZ123456'.
That proves the goods are yours coming back into the UK. Not a new purchase incurring import duty & VAT.

Your courier costs are going to be sort of £100 for both ways. Then any 'paper processing' charges. Often around £20 incoming with some couriers.
Then you add the actual repair cost.

How much is the camera to replace?

HTH, David.