NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

80mm Refractor?

AndyThilo

With an impending change to my Astro imaging equipment, I'll be selling my ES102. So I'll need a scope to dedicate to solar and use with my Quark. Any recommendations? I'm thinking around 400mm or so, so an 80mm scope? I'm assuming that it doesn't need to be triplet quality. ED80 or similiar?

If it's Solar work, it doesn't need to be triplet quality.

Why not just stick with your 102 and use that?

I have a 102 for white and calcium and, if I didn't have a Lunt LS, I'd still be tempted to add a Quark.

Edited by Altocumulus

The 102 is too close (tiny FOV with the Quarks barlow) and a waste for just Solar TBH, it's a £1500 scope. I plan to sell it and possibly get a Hyperstar for my Edge HD. I've seen good results with the Orion ST80 but it's no longer for sale. 

• Like 1

Just now, AndyThilo said:

Ok thanks :), I'll have a look. Suitable for Solar?

Can't see why it wouldn't be.  I've used the ST120 with a Herschel wedge.

James

I spent a lot of time soul (wallet? lol) searching re. choice of 80mm objective
for Solar Imaging. I wanted it as part of a (Lunt 50 based) "Franken Scope"... 🥳

I read quite a few (v.detailed!) optical measurements on (German) forums re.
"Strehl values" etc. of *Startravel* refractors etc. -- I remained a bit concerned
about the *general* performance of (albeit fine and fun!) Doublet Achromats?
I eventually spent more on an ED80. That gave me rather more confidence re.
performance wrt. other aberrations (not just colour) at HAlpha wavelengths. 🤔

The ED80 is held to be a "good bargain"? On the cusp of expensive scopes? 😏
(I have found it to be an excellent performer... I don't have to "worry" etc. lol)

Edited by Macavity

No need for fancy optics with Ha imaging. Why not an ST102( or ST120) with a 0.5 focal reducer to give you two options on FL. If you don’t get on with the std focuser (it’s not great) then get the SW upgrade for ~£140. All for less than an ED80.

• Like 1

On 02/05/2020 at 13:47, Freddie said:

No need for fancy optics with Ha imaging. Why not an ST102( or ST120) with a 0.5 focal reducer to give you two options on FL. If you don’t get on with the std focuser (it’s not great) then get the SW upgrade for ~£140. All for less than an ED80.

Hmm could do, I’ve already an 0.5 as I got one to use with my ES102. 

Due to the virus lockdown I'm at home with a ST80 for solar use coupled with a 60mm Coronado front etalon.  It's ok but the SA lets it down overall, I will replace it with my SW ED80 when "out of gaol".  The focusers on either are nothing special but I wouldn't spend much extra on a ST80.    🙂