Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Recommendations on affordable 6mm EP?

23 minutes ago, miguel87 said:

I mean affordable is very subjective but I use the 6mm Vixen SLV in my 8inch newt. About 75 quid I believe.

Ahhh great, thank you, do you know if certain eyepieces scope specific? like does the aperture of the scope effect which eyepieces you should look at getting in terms of 6mm 8mm 10mm or even brand etc

21 minutes ago, John said:

The Vixen SLV is very good. If you would like a slightly wider field of view, the William Optics SPL also gets a lot of praise:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/william-optics-eyepieces/william-optics-spl-eyepiece.html

I read your review/report on the Vixen SLV John which I thought was really informative so I definitely had this one in mind, quite a good price in comparison to some ive seen upwards of 150-200+ which at this stage im not quite willing to spend

I fancied buying the Vixen SLV eyepieces when they were on offer at FLO. However, the price at other retailers has now jumped to £106 each so might not be affordable as requested by cuto100200. 

I thought that the WO 6mm Planetary was out of production but I may be wrong. Certainly Rob's suggestion might be a good option.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cuto100200 said:

Ahhh great, thank you, do you know if certain eyepieces scope specific? like does the aperture of the scope effect which eyepieces you should look at getting in terms of 6mm 8mm 10mm or even brand etc

I read your review/report on the Vixen SLV John which I thought was really informative so I definitely had this one in mind, quite a good price in comparison to some ive seen upwards of 150-200+ which at this stage im not quite willing to spend

All eyepieces generally work on all scopes (there are two main sizes 1.25 and 2 inch) the magnification with increase as your telescope gets longer.

• Like 1

The focal ratio of the scope does affect how well corrected the outer 50% of  field of view of an eyepiece is. Practically all eyepieces are sharp in the central part of their field of view these days.

• Like 2

Having owned some of the WO SPL eyepieces as well as the Celestron X-Cel LX they were very similar in performance. Nothing to choose berween them quality wise.

The TMB Planetary eyepieces now available under several brand names wern’t quite as good but still good. If you can wait a bit cheaper to get them from China.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=+1.25Inch+Planetary++eyepiece&_sacat=0

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1