NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Binoculars for complete beginner. Advice required please

Hello all. I am a complete newbie to this sort of stuff and I figured the best place to start before jumping straight in for a telescope might be some binoculars just to gaze for now. Does anybody please have any suggestions on what to buy please on a small budget. It might be a 5 minute fad (hopefully not) but any recommendations would be appreciated. I'm aware that I also asked a similar question back in 2018 but never got round to purchasing anything due to a number of family issues. I'm back again in the hope that you guys would be kind enough to give me some advice. When I say small budget we're talking £30.00 tops. I bought a pair about 10 years ago following a recommendation from someone on a site similar to this which cost me about £15.00 and were perfect. They were lost in a house move and for the life of me I can't remember make / model and not sign of a receipt anywhere. Thanks in advance

Edited by Stargazing_Newbie
Added info
  • Like 1

You can't really go that wrong with binoculars,just make sure the quality of optics is good.Also if you are not planning on buying a monopod or tripod,chose some that have smaller focal lenghts and show wider field of view,so it will seem like the picture is more steady and that is crucial when viewing objects in space.Just keep that in mind,larger is not always better.If you didn't already,download some apps,starmaps on your phone,so you can find objects easier.Dark sky is the most important factor,so go to the darkest place you can,and bring someone with you,so they keep you company,it can get scary.I hope you enjoy it,the beginning is one of the most magial parts of this hobby,and buying expensive equipment doesn't necessarily make it more fun.

-Clear skies,David

• Like 1

FLO has these on sale if your budget can stretch. Also the larger 20x80 pros are on sale for £165. Also the Helios Stellar in that price range. The Helios are very well regarded, I've the 15x70 Apollos as well but you defintely want a monopod or tripod for those. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/observation-binoculars/celestron-skymaster-pro-15x70-binoculars.html

Edited by Ships and Stars

You say your budget is £30 tops. It's going to be difficult to buy really decent binoculars for that price.

If you can stretch the budget to £50-£60, there are a few 8x40 and 10x50 offerings which will provide pleasing views and last many years.

I took ages, researched and procrastinated before settling on Olympus DPS-I 10x50s (£60) and haven't regretted it. I bought my 74 yr old dad the 8x40 version for his birthday and he loves them. They're quite a bit smaller, lighter and therefore steadier than the 8x50s.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000AKGX3?tag=duc08-21&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

Helios Fieldmasters have good reviews:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/all-binoculars/helios-fieldmaster-50mm-binoculars.html

Tring Astro has highly regarded Opticron Adventurers on sale at the moment:

https://www.tringastro.co.uk/opticron-adventurer-10x50-binoculars-7447-p.asp

There's a dedicated binocular section on the forums. Have a search. There's plenty of information.

• Like 3

I would stay well away from anything with a magnification of more than 10x. Personally I prefer 8x. More than this and you won't hand-hold comfortably so you'll be adding the cost and clutter of a monopod or tripod. Higher magnifications suffer more jitters when hand holding. You'll also be able to enjoy 7, 8 or 10x binoculars for wildlife.

Olly

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

You say your budget is £30 tops. It's going to be difficult to buy really decent binoculars for that price.

If you can stretch the budget to £50-£60, there are a few 8x40 and 10x50 offerings which will provide pleasing views and last many years.

I took ages, researched and procrastinated before settling on Olympus DPS-I 10x50s (£60) and haven't regretted it. I bought my 74 yr old dad the 8x40 version for his birthday and he loves them. They're quite a bit smaller, lighter and therefore steadier than the 8x50s.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000AKGX3?tag=duc08-21&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

Helios Fieldmasters have good reviews:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/all-binoculars/helios-fieldmaster-50mm-binoculars.html

Tring Astro has highly regarded Opticron Adventurers on sale at the moment:

https://www.tringastro.co.uk/opticron-adventurer-10x50-binoculars-7447-p.asp

There's a dedicated binocular section on the forums. Have a search. There's plenty of information.

Thank you ScouseSpaceCadet. Can I ask the Olympus 10 x 50's you have. Are they heavy? Also are those better than the binoculars that you bought for your dad? I'm just trying to get to grips with all the magnifications and weights etc and want to make a decision that suits me best. Ideally I'd prefer something not too heavy but at the same time don't want to compromise on the quality. Would definitely look into stretching the budget to £50/£60 on this basis.

35 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

I would wait for when Alidi (or is it lidl)  do thier binocular offer where they are say £15 for a pair of 10x50.

You'll have to wait but you'll get more for less.

Very hit an miss though. I've had a couple of pairs for sharing around and they're pretty grim!

Olly

45 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

I would wait for when Alidi (or is it lidl)  do thier binocular offer where they are say £15 for a pair of 10x50.

You'll have to wait but you'll get more for less.

ideally check them in the store before you pay and verify that they are collimated and the focus/adjustments all work as they should, as this does seem to be an issue with some of the stock they get.

2 hours ago, Stargazing_Newbie said:

Thank you ScouseSpaceCadet. Can I ask the Olympus 10 x 50's you have. Are they heavy?

+1 for the Olympus DPS1 10x50. Very good for the money and the bins I still use the most. The Amazon listing gives the weight as 853g. They are very hand holdable and give a good sharp image.

Another selling point when I got mine was a 30 year warranty. You could do a lot worse for 60 quid.

3 hours ago, Stargazing_Newbie said:

Thank you ScouseSpaceCadet. Can I ask the Olympus 10 x 50's you have. Are they heavy? Also are those better than the binoculars that you bought for your dad? I'm just trying to get to grips with all the magnifications and weights etc and want to make a decision that suits me best. Ideally I'd prefer something not too heavy but at the same time don't want to compromise on the quality. Would definitely look into stretching the budget to £50/£60 on this basis.

The 10x50s feel substantial and for astronomy they're best rested on something. I just sit back and use my face. 😉

During the lockdown my inner geek has been released and they're also smashing for plane spotting. 

Besides the lack of weight producing less shakes & compact size I've not noticed a *massive* difference. My dad's also taken to watching the local kestrels hovering about.

Hi @Stargazing_Newbie and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

+1 one for the the advice given by other SGL'ers.

Do not be tempted to purchase a pair of cheap 'zoom' binoculars. Go for a 'fixed' focal length. I have two pairs of binoculars... 

post-4682-0-36306500-1445866821_thumb.jpg<--- 7x50  post-4682-0-32308400-1445866920_thumb.jpg<--- 20x80

If you have a camera tripod or monopod, (depending on your height), you may wish to consider one these to mount them...

41bA2kp1wlL._AC_US327_QL65_.jpg.8e1578b9a32ea3c8a343d719d11e66f4.jpg 

...and an 'L' bracket or other binocular mount for attaching to a tripod or monopod. The trigger grip/joystick/ball-head; (I think, is better than using a pan & tilt head)... note: the base thread is 3/8" instead of 1/4". 

If you do not have a tripod on monopod; then there other ideas/methods elsewhere on the internet showing you how to mount binoculars on a budget.

To finish off, this maybe of help... 

:bino2:

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1

I'd also suggest - avoid binoculars that are "perma-focus" - they do not suit stargazing as your eye's can't compensate for the fact that they are not focused at an infinity that is even close to non-terrestrial distances. You can fix this I believe, but not easily and for sure isn't something a beginner would want to be trying to do.

I bought two pairs of 8x30 used porro prism binoculars from Ebay Germany - think I paid 15€ and 20€ for them. 

The seller had a very good reputation, mentioned that both were in collimation (look for this word in the ads) and free of fungus / scratches. 

This might be an option. Steer clear of sellers that don't give thorough descriptions or have a pair of binoculars amongst a load of random items - better when the seller has astro gear / camera gear as they are more likely to have looked after it.

• Like 1