Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Second Scope Advice

Yes, the barrel does rotate when the o-ring is persuaded to give up its grip.

(and as John said, on some of them instead of a the third screw there is a spring loaded plunger, so that one only needs to turn the other two in and out to adjust, with the third one automatically taking up the slack.).

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Just loosen the two screws a little and rotate the the whole finder and eyepiece. The other “screw” is’t a screw but a spring loaded plunger.

Indeed, my quick reference. It’s ever so stiff, to the point I was using quite a bit of force and questioned it.

• 2 weeks later...

Concentre finally arrived yesterday and made simple work of getting the secondary properly aligned, was done in 5 minutes. Had to slacken the central bolt and twist it a bit. Had a good couple of hours last night with some doubles and all rendering nicely. It is however, a lot of money for what it is, but...... if you want to be sure...

Still waiting on the handle from WDS and hopefully two new EP's should be delivered late this afternoon. Just in time for another late night, looking at the cloudless forecast for later 😀

I've been speaking to Stardaze about our collimation 'journeys'! I've been sticking with a collimation cap for now, although I'll get something else once I've gotten a little more experience. I've been aligning the secondary as per AstroBaby but have tested things using a smartphone camera (tiny lens) though the cap and Mire de Collimation to double-check the concentricity (is that a word) of the circles. These are the pics adjusting the secondary - before the final primary adjustment.

Capturethu6.JPG

Capturethu5.JPG

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Pixies said:

I've been speaking to Stardaze about our collimation 'journeys'! I've been sticking with a collimation cap for now, although I'll get something else once I've gotten a little more experience. I've been aligning the secondary as per AstroBaby but have tested things using a smartphone camera (tiny lens) though the cap and Mire de Collimation to double-check the concentricity (is that a word) of the circles. These are the pics adjusting the secondary - before the final primary adjustment.

Capturethu6.JPG

Capturethu5.JPG

Always difficult to get an absolute square on image with the phone, but that looks pretty good to me. Maybe you don't need to be relieved of £65 for a piece of plastic that you'll use once a year 😆

My other two EP's have just turned up, so looking forward to trying them later tonight. Might need a power nap  inbetween 😂