Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moon mosaic - 22 panels

don4l

This is a 22 pane mosaic taken at 4000mm with an ASI120mc on a Tal200K with a 2x barlow.  I've got the feeling that the 2x is pushing it a bit far,but I wanted to find out what it would be like.  It is better than without the barlow,  but the difference is not huge.  I've scaled the image to 60% because it just looked worse at full size.  Perhaps I should have reduced it even further???

Click the image for full size.

moon.jpg

• Like 9

It's a nice effort. Amount od detail and general processing is pretty good. What I doo notice however are quite a few edges from stitching. How did you put the mosaic together? Manually or with some specific tool?

if you did it manually, you need to feather the overlap.

Nonentheless a very nice image. 

Wouter.

2 minutes ago, wouterdhoye said:

It's a nice effort. Amount od detail and general processing is pretty good. What I doo notice however are quite a few edges from stitching. How did you put the mosaic together? Manually or with some specific tool?

if you did it manually, you need to feather the overlap.

Nonentheless a very nice image. 

Wouter.

Thank you.

I assembled the mosaic in the Gimp. I've tried a couple of mosaic packages in the past (ICE and iMerge).  I didn't manage to get them to work well.  I will have another look at them in the future.

1 hour ago, geoflewis said:

Very nice as it is Donal :thumbright:

Thank you, Geof, and thanks for the tips.  Your advice has all turned out to be spot on, and has saved me lots of time and effort.

• Like 1

Thanks for the lovely comments. 

Last night (29th) I had another go, but this time I used a 1.6x focal extender to give a F/L of about 3200mm.  I think that in future I might stick with this, as it should mean much less processing due to the larger FOV of each frame.  I also tried Firecapture for the first time.  User incompetence meant that I ended up taking far too many subframes - I suspect that the default view may not show the full frame!!!!  My overlaps were far too big.  There was one small exception, where the overlap was a bit too small.  Hopefully nobody will notice [cough].

I haven't converted this one to monochrome because I sort of like the way that it has turned out.  I'd welcome people's opinion on this.  Perhaps it just looks weird?

Click to enlarge:-

Moon290320.jpg

• Like 1