Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Talk to me about Solar with my current setup please :)

AndyThilo

I have used, successfully, two white light systems.

One involved covering the big end with Baader Film - which I used on a skywatcher reflector.

I now use a Lunt Herschel Wedge at the small end of a 102 refractor.

There are other options, including adding a Daystar Quark which takes you into narrow-band observing/imaging.

Cost-wise, the film is cheaper, then the wedge....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Altocumulus said:

p.s. find the Sun! It's been lacking for a week now, however there's little to be seen using white light (at the moment), though an old sunspot might return soon after its travel around the backside of the Sun. https://www.raben.com/maps suggests it's just about to re-appear.

It's been clear here all week, unfortunately I've been ill (not Corona), so going out at night has been out of the question. So I'm now thinking why not do some solar imaging :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Merlin66 said:

IMHO the Baader solar film is much better than alternatives.

Unfortunately at the moment there’s not much white light activity.

Agreed 👍🏻

But just can’t get that interested in using my Badder film filter at the moment. 🙁

Edited by johninderby

1 minute ago, AndyThilo said:

Either the Astrozap or the Kendrick brand are excellent. Or you can make your own using a sheet of the Baader film which is a lot cheaper.

https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/downloads/dl/file/id/337/product/3007/how_to_make_your_own_solar_filter_for_cameras_binoculars_and_telescope.pdf

• Like 1

One other really useful bit of kit is a solar filter for your finder. I use one on my 9x50 RACI finder it it makes getting the sun centered so much easier. Also can be used on it’s own for a quick look at the sun to see if it’s worth setting up the scope.

AEE1447F-A2ED-4541-976E-E5778D55BB15.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Here's a white light sun spot group using Baader film. I think this was on my 8 inch reflector, possibly stopped down to a 4 inch opening ( too long ago to remember ).

sun2015_56.jpg

Daytime seeing can be a challenge, especially on a warm day. I usually try for mid morning, once the Sun has a bit of altitude, but before the heat of the day has built up.

sun2015_75.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ArmyAirForce said:

Here's a white light sun spot group using Baader film. I think this was on my 8 inch reflector, possibly stopped down to a 4 inch opening ( too long ago to remember ).

Daytime seeing can be a challenge, especially on a warm day. I usually try for mid morning, once the Sun has a bit of altitude, but before the heat of the day has built up.

I remeber once upon a time sunspots used to be like that. 😁

Edited by johninderby
  • Haha 1

I use a Lunt wedge, is it much of an improvement on the Baader film? I wouldn't say it is huge, i certainly like the safety aspect to it.

Baader Solar Continuum filter on the other hand made a huge difference to the detail, a cheap green filter helps as well.

• Like 2