Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Suburban Herschel hunting

Size9Hex

Dark skies trips are off for now, but still plenty to explore up there.

Wednesday night in the back yard with the 10", mostly on the the spring galaxies in the Herschel 400 list:

• Comet C/2017 T2 (PANSTARRS) ticked. Thanks to others for their reports on this one. I wouldn’t have known about it otherwise.
  • NGC 5053 globular cluster next to M3. Frustrating and invisible despite various visits over the years.
  • 20 or so galaxies in Coma Berenices and briefly into Virgo. Markarian’s Chain and the Eyes being a highlight. Also, NGC 4526 framed beautifully between two stars.

A very welcome escape for an hour or two from current worries, although not entirely. The neighbourhood was quiet despite the early hour and the lack of planes also notable and strange.

Wider thoughts on the Herschel list for possible inspiration. From my suburban garden, Ursa Minor is visible, but only just. The sky to the south is notably brighter. In these conditions, with a 10" scope:

• The Milky Way objects in the full 2,500 list have been absolutely amazing to explore. Hundreds on offer and enormous variety.
  • The galaxies on the full 2,500 list have been rather hit and miss. Worth a go if accepting that they will often be frustrating or impossible. Awesome from a dark site though.
  • The galaxies on the 400 list seem largely doable from home so far, especially with a higher power eyepiece to coax them out.

Sky Safari has the H400 list pre-baked ready to go.

Stay safe and be kind everyone.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Size9Hex said:

and the lack of planes also notable and strange.

Nice report. 

I live close to Belfast City Airport and I must admit that I am enjoying the temporary relief from the constant buzz of aircraft. 

And yes, with a good atlas and a bit of skill there's plenty to be had from an orange urban sky. 

Keep well. 

Ciaran. 

• Like 1

Sounds like an enjoyable session.

I must go back to the H400 list. I started on it a couple of years ago but kind of lost my way. Loads of new and varied targets. 
Thanks for the reminder.

Paul

• Like 1

I have the Herschel lists in pdf format tried a few of them from home but I am blighted by light pollution so its a case of doing them from a dark site out of the question in the current climate.

So when I do go out its clusters and double and multiple stars, its a sad state of affairs when you cannot see the milkyway from home you dont get the awe in young eyes when they look up these days which is a shame.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I have the Herschel lists in pdf format tried a few of them from home but I am blighted by light pollution so its a case of doing them from a dark site out of the question in the current climate.

So when I do go out its clusters and double and multiple stars, its a sad state of affairs when you cannot see the milkyway from home you dont get the awe in young eyes when they look up these days which is a shame.

Hi Paul can you email that list please 

29 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

That is sad. I guess you’ll know of the Cambridge and the Sissy Haas (if you can still find it) double star resources. I turn to these when the transparency is bad or the moon too bright. Love double star observing and it’s hard not to get swept along by the enthusiastic notes in the Haas guide! Asteroids and carbon stars are an interesting diversion when dark skies aren’t available too.

Take care.

• Like 1

Just now, Size9Hex said:

That is sad. I guess you’ll know of the Cambridge and the Sissy Haas (if you can still find it) double star resources. I turn to these when the transparency is bad or the moon too bright. Love double star observing and it’s hard not to get swept along by the enthusiastic notes in the Haas guide! Asteroids and carbon stars are an interesting diversion when dark skies aren’t available too.

Take care.

Yes I have them both they are my reference books. Thanks.

• Like 1