Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another night in Leo + a few other delights

Up until this week I had not used my 12" Dob this year relying on my 6" Newt and Heritage 130P for quick grab and go.

With the 12" Dob still outside after several days I started viewing looking at C/2019 Y4 (Atlas) which seemed slightly larger and brighter. A few days ago I found an old article on the PN - IC3568 - not easy to star hop but the 80mm finderscope and the Interstellarum atlas certainly helped. This PN is very star like and I had to use my 6mm Ethos + 1.6x barlow (405x) to really confirm it.

I also decided to test whether I could see M1 with a pair of 7x50 binoculars - my report is contained in a thread started by paul73. As part of the same test I also used my Helios Apollo 15x70 binos and because they were out I also undertook some observing with these. Highlight was observing the Rosette and Monkey Head Nebulae - for this I used a TeleVue Nebustar UHC and Astronomik O-III - both objects really well defined.

Finally I returned to Leo to view the remaining brighter DSOs that I did not finish the other night.

Galaxies observed using my 20mm Myriad and 13mm Ethos EPs - M95, M96, M105, NGC 3384, 3389, 3412, 3338, 3367 and 3377

• Like 10

Great report Mark :icon_biggrin:

Some lovely, and chellenging targets there !

I have to admit that a 12 inch scope under a reasonably good sky really does enable you to get very deep amonst the galaxies. As you pan around the Leo / Virgo / Coma area they just keep popping into view once you get "your eye in". Easy to get lost there !

I have had a brief session viewing the double stars in Leo recently. I am having difficulty locating the Leo Trippe galaxy's. I am sure I am in the correct area but no joy. I am looking though low power, around x66 mag Would they be to small to view at this power?

Baz

14 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

I have had a brief session viewing the double stars in Leo recently. I am having difficulty locating the Leo Trippe galaxy's. I am sure I am in the correct area but no joy. I am looking though low power, around x66 mag Would they be to small to view at this power?

Baz

Baz using 66x should be okay. When I view the triplet I always start at the star Chertan and then move down to a line of 3 stars starting at no.73. The galaxies are slightly to the left - 

Great report Mark, you’ve given me some ideas for tonight to have a go at, just hope the transparency is better than last night, I really struggled with an a larger light pollution dome than usual, as the light scattered towards the zenith 😢😢

7 hours ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Baz

I typically can only just pick out two of the three with my 200 dob with averted vision

23 minutes ago, DavidJM said:

I typically can only just pick out two of the three with my 200 dob with averted vision

Really? I didn't realize they were this difficult to locate and see. There is a possibility I stumbled on them then but totally missed them. I have just put the scope out for another attempt at them later!

Thanks all.

Baz

8 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Really? I didn't realize they were this difficult to locate and see. There is a possibility I stumbled on them then but totally missed them. I have just put the scope out for another attempt at them later!

Thanks all.

Baz

Might just be me struggling😂 hope you have a successful night!

6 hours ago, Jiggy 67 said:

Great report Mark, you’ve given me some ideas for tonight to have a go at, just hope the transparency is better than last night, I really struggled with an a larger light pollution dome than usual, as the light scattered towards the zenith 😢😢

Not great transparency here either.

Nice to see that Mark had better luck.

Paul