Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Balancing telescope

Hi all

I currently have a small telescope on the az Eq5 and the supplied counterweights (5kg) are too heavy to balance with the scope. Does anyone know of smaller counterweights that would fit into the shaft?

Thanks in advance

11 minutes ago, smoggy said:

Hi all

I currently have a small telescope on the az Eq5 and the supplied counterweights (5kg) are too heavy to balance with the scope. Does anyone know of smaller counterweights that would fit into the shaft?

Thanks in advance

Don't wish to state the obvious but you have tried fully sliding the 5KG weight fully up the shaft I take it. 

2 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Don't wish to state the obvious but you have tried fully sliding the 5KG weight fully up the shaft I take it. 

Sadly I have. It's only a measly megrez 72 it is to balance with. It's fine if a camera it attached but for visual it's just not heavy enough.

24 minutes ago, smoggy said:

Sadly I have. It's only a measly megrez 72 it is to balance with. It's fine if a camera it attached but for visual it's just not heavy enough.

Have you tried adding a bit of weight on the scope end, I have seen pictures of bolts with loads of washers attatched to dovetail bars.

39 minutes ago, Dinglem said:

Have you tried adding a bit of weight on the scope end, I have seen pictures of bolts with loads of washers attatched to dovetail bars.

Probably not a bad idea to put weights on the end of a bolt sticking out 180 degrees to the eyepiece and on the other side of the pivot point.  That would keep it balanced for heavy eyepieces as the scope angles up toward the zenith.  I have something similar on my alt-az mount.

58 minutes ago, smoggy said:

I had noticed them but as the below poster pointed out I can't find them anywhere. If they do become available is the central hole the same diameter as the 5kg?

I used them on a Heq5Pro - 18mm shaft, i think thats the same size as the Az/Eq5 and an Altair Sabre (20mm). So would fit.