Comet C/2019 Y4 ATLAS animation

I've come to the conclusion that it's very hard to do RGB of a comet with a mono camera!

So after a failed attempt at stacking, I've concluded the processing with an animation.  It's 5 x 300s in each colour RGB, which accounts for the change in brightness.

Hope you like it, clear skies

Adam.

2019-Y4-ATLAS.gif

• Like 13

Nicely done Adam, I came to the same conclusion long ago and usually use the Atik4000OSC for comets  although I used the Atik314L mono last night because I didn't want to disturb it but only took luminance.

Dave

• Like 1

Nice animation.

I've had exactly the same problem with RGB, so I've started  just taking  L. 

I might try it with a Canon EOS250 if I can figure out how to do it.

Edited by don4l
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Graham Darke said:

Nice. Out of interest which colour filter gave the brightest response?

Thanks Graham. In the animation there are 5 frames of red, then 5 green and finally five blue. Green, as you’d expect, is the brightest. 

Great video Adam.     

It almost looks like the little beastie is swimming  and just succeeding against the flow of the Solar wind, but  in reality gravity has it fully under it's grasp  (for now anyway).

I'm guessing you are using the Epsilon.   But what camera ??   I am trying to figure out a good image scale to get the tail  and enough stars for perspective, but not lose it's identity in the star field.

BTW.  yes   RGB imaging of comets didn't go well for me either.......  this is one from a year or so ago....

1140557561_cometZB212018technicolourRGBcolor.thumb.jpg.f36425f5a0bd97c3d690c2d5c8e5beba.jpg

Sean.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Craney said:

Great video Adam.     

It almost looks like the little beastie is swimming  and just succeeding against the flow of the Solar wind, but  in reality gravity has it fully under it's grasp  (for now anyway).

I'm guessing you are using the Epsilon.   But what camera ??   I am trying to figure out a good image scale to get the tail  and enough stars for perspective, but not lose it's identity in the star field.

BTW.  yes   RGB imaging of comets didn't go well for me either.......  this is one from a year or so ago....

1140557561_cometZB212018technicolourRGBcolor.thumb.jpg.f36425f5a0bd97c3d690c2d5c8e5beba.jpg

Sean.

Thanks Sean. This is a crop to reduce the video size. I am using an Atik 383L+, which is a mono camera with 5.4um pixels. It gives an image scale of 2.23”/px which is ok.

I tried stacking on the comet but DSS wouldn’t acknowledge the nucleus so it couldn’t be done. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Helen said:

In DSS you can choose a point for the comet nucleus using shift and click 🙂  That doesn't always get a great result, but worth a go...

I’ll try that now. Thanks. 

• Like 1

I had wondered about rotating through the filters and taking one frame of each, but yes, I've about given up trying to image this comet in RGB, too.  Colour seems a better plan if I can work out what camera I might have to do the job.  ASI224MC, perhaps?

James