NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Carl Zeiss (Jena) freebies!

Chaz2b

It’s amazing what people will throw out, I got these from where I work thrown out in a skip!! The frames have seen better days but the optics are superb! Now for some clear nights......haha, as if.

chaz

16A10A4E-E644-40B3-ABA1-4B720C9AD1D5.jpeg

• Like 15

25 minutes ago, Ciaran Meier said:

Wow,  what a find.  Be sure to let us know how you get on with them. 

I have a pair of Orion Resolux to compare them to, so will do.

chaz

2 hours ago, Ciaran Meier said:

Hey Chaz

Make sure that the leather strap on those binoculars hasn't weakened too much.  Leather thats not looked after can become dry and brittle over time. 

Yes you’re right, thankfully these are in great condition. Been looking through them all afternoon, lots of wildlife to view here, but the minute there’s a clear gap in the clouds, I’ll be out there.

chaz

Been looking on that wonderful site that the guys at FLO has generously provided us with, and it’s a no go till about four am! I also use it in conjunction with Windy.com, that also gives you cloud cover, both excellent apps.

chaz

I’m just amazed how good they are, the colours in daylight are very vivid, and as good an image as in my Resolux binos! I don’t really use the neck straps on binos simply because I don’t hold them to my eyes for long, so I just put them down. I didn’t get up early enough to look at the stars so no comparisons there, maybe someone who also has a pair of these can chip in here, but I will give my results as and when I will ever see the stars again....ruddy clouds!

one small problem, is the possible fungus on one lens, it’s on the inside, will hydrogen peroxide clean this?

F2ADCF85-5287-474B-8C01-8C807754DEC9.thumb.jpeg.6a5dbfb65482229eb8a48dfb9446163e.jpeg

chaz

Edited by Chaz2b

Finally, I managed to get some views under the stars, but I have to be honest, I was a little underwhelmed by the experience!

There were plenty of targets but the viewing was not particularly good. What I did notice was the view was a little washed out, the Orion Resolux was much crisper and better contrast, so I will probably use the CZ binos for daytime use where they are excellent and much lighter than the Resolux binos.

chaz