Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar Filters

Having lots of cloudy nights, I'm thinking of buying a Solar filter.

So I can get some use out of my NexStar 8se scope in the daytime.

Was thinking about the Seymour Solar SF950 9.5" Type 2 Glass Solar Filter like this:

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/seymour-solar-sf950-95-type-2-glass-solar-filter.html

I have never used one before, and need your expert help would be appreciated.

Edited by Mick H

Stay away from those  glass solar filters. Trouble with the glass filters is the cheap glass used isn’t optically flat and optically flat glass is very, very expensive. The Baader solar film is optically flat despite not looking flat to the eye. Next best thing to a Herschel wedge but a wedge can only be used with a refractor.

This is a better choice.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/astrozap-baader-solar-filter.html

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a Thousand Oaks glass type 2 and it gives a nice orange disc. It is showing its age now by showing very small pinpricks. They can be, according to Thousand Oaks be ‘patched up’ with a BLACK permenant  marker pen. I spoke to a member of my local astro society and was advised to bin it, as it is not worth the risk damaging your eyes or those of someone else.

Going with the Baader Solar Safty Film will be the cheaper option and just as safe. REMEMBER to check for pinpricks, tears, other defects before each and every use.

BTW - I only view the Sun with a Herschel/Solar Wedge with the Baader Solar Continuum & single Polarising filters and a 70mm refractor.

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1

The Seymour has a green tint on the sun so I dont like it

I just bought the 1000 oaks film 12x12 ag xmas time it gives it a nice orange yellow . Plus that's big enough to do a few scopes if u have the kind where the dewcap has a removable smaller cap

Joejaguar 

Edited by joe aguiar
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, joe aguiar said:

I just bought the 1000 oaks film 12x12 ag xmas time it gives it a nice orange yellow .

How are you liking their new film?  I used it in their eclipse glasses in 2017, and everyone at the observing site agreed they were way sharper than the cheap, mylar glasses, but that's a pretty low bar to judge it against.  I've been using the Baader Solar Film for 20 years to good effect on my scopes, but I always wondered if I could do better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Louis D said:

How are you liking their new film?  I used it in their eclipse glasses in 2017, and everyone at the observing site agreed they were way sharper than the cheap, mylar glasses, but that's a pretty low bar to judge it against.  I've been using the Baader Solar Film for 20 years to good effect on my scopes, but I always wondered if I could do better.

the badder is also a nice film and I years ago bought the 20x30 inch sheet its a good filter too, but the image is whiteish colour I prfer the orange colour but I like both

joe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joe aguiar said:

but the image is whiteish colour I prfer the orange colour but I like both

Is it good to use a eyepiece coloured filter with Astrozap-Baader Solar Filter?

BTW, my first solar filter (still have it lying around) was a Thousand Oaks glass filter for my C8, which gave a slightly yellowish image. For imaging, I later got a higher transmission Baader film one which I combine with the green solar continuum filter and IR-block filter, and these give considerably more detail.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

BTW, my first solar filter (still have it lying around) was a Thousand Oaks glass filter for my C8, which gave a slightly yellowish image. For imaging, I later got a higher transmission Baader film one which I combine with the green solar continuum filter and IR-block filter, and these give considerably more detail.

That's was mine too but 10 inch sct 1000 oak glass filter

Joejaguar