NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Simple focus improvement for C6 SCT

Ags

I made this simple focus improvement for my C6. It's so basic anyone can do it with a bit of garden wire. The idea is the scope doesn't vibrate because you only nudge the spokes, instead of gripping the focus knob like a drunken sailor. I thought the spokes might be too short and I would need more leverage, but it actually works really well - precise focusing, no wobbles. The spokes can't go longer on a C6 because of the visual back of course. The spokes also help with counting turns - now I know for example that my ASI 178 MM comes to focus 2 1/2 spokes from my ES 24/68 eyepiece.

Of course the spokes don't stop you using the knob as originally intended for coarse focus.

This was already posted elsewhere but I think it is neat enough for its own thread.

finefocus.jpg.cac51a1331131fcf5081e7bf7faec5fd.jpg

Edited by Ags
  • Like 6

Clothespeg? I think my contraption is classier...😀 I have tried a clothespeg on my Skymax 127 but it seemed too long and needed repositioning.  This way I can leave the Wire Based Fine Focusing Device permanently in place.

Edited by Ags

All good ideas 

13 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

Good idea... I'm sure there must be a 3D printed equivalent out there by now.

I used a Vegemite lid on my C9.25 and C11..............

Many years ago on my LX50 I used the rubber bit from a garden watering can rose with a plastic lid from a jar of  peanut butter over the top..  

• Like 1

Hi! Newbie here but I have also put together a focuser for my 8se to avoid the wobble.

Just needed an aluminium strip, a 1rpm geared motor, some GT2 Pulleys, belt and a few switches.

scope.jpg.f95ea030eeb70d5fa049dffd2ebe6792.jpg

switches.jpg.455ef6612cb4ffa60ca0ae7171e70ad5.jpg

The rocker switch controls the focus motor direction, the potentiometer on the side adjusts the speed from 1rpm to .25rpm for fine focusing. Happy to provide links to the parts and wiring diagrams if anyone is interested.

Eventually I plan to replace it with a myfocuser pro2 if I can get it working...

• Like 1