Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Set-up - Rosette

mackiedlm

So, my first real night out with my new rig and first ever guided image.

the Rosette was getting low but since I've never captured it before I wanted to give it a try. So a bit short on time i think at 41 X 180s

SW 80ED, SW 0.85FR/FF
NEQ6
Modded EOS1100D
Guided with SW Evoguide 50ED ZWO ASI120mm Mini
41 X180s Iso 800

PA Sharpcap, Guided PHD2, processed APP and PS

My first ever guided image so I think the guiding could be better RMS around 1.0" most of the time.

However I'm not sure about the misshapen stars near the bottom left, and elsewhere. I'm thinking spacing of the FR but would appreciate any pointers. I also think the focus is a bit off - waiting for a Bahtinov to arrive.

Critiques and suggestions for improvement please.

596499571_rosette20200315finalp.thumb.png.a6d4a0db3535d5eae1b118a6e7812cbf.png

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mackiedlm said:

I'm thinking spacing of the FR

One problem I had with the ED80DS and FR was that I never sure that once the FR was tightened into the focusser that it remained concentric - it always seemed to droop a little especially with the added weight of the camera, etc. I solved the problem by fitting a Baader Click-Lock - which rates as one the best things I've ever spent money on in this hobby. Apologies if you already have one fitted to your OTA. Clearly spacing is important as well but that shouldn't be an issue with the correct EoS adapter.

Adrian

52 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

One problem I had with the ED80DS and FR was that I never sure that once the FR was tightened into the focusser that it remained concentric - it always seemed to droop a little especially with the added weight of the camera, etc. I solved the problem by fitting a Baader Click-Lock - which rates as one the best things I've ever spent money on in this hobby. Apologies if you already have one fitted to your OTA. Clearly spacing is important as well but that shouldn't be an issue with the correct EoS adapter.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, but I'm a little confused.

As it set just now, the FR screws straight onto the focuser, it does not have a 2" nosepiece. So unless I'm totally missing something that click-lock would only work if i had this https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/astro-essentials-adapter-for-sky-watcher-focal-reducers.html attached to the FR?

But I appreciate the advice. And there was me thinking that after the mount, scope, guide camera, guide scope etc my expenditure was done for a while. 🤣. Not in the AP world!

rgds

David.

Edited by mackiedlm
left out the link

13 minutes ago, mackiedlm said:

As it set just now, the FR screws straight onto the focuser, it does not have a 2" nosepiece.

Haha! Another theory bites the dust. Sounds like you've got it covered and so I'm not sure I can help re. the odd shaped stars in the lower part of the image.

I use the nosepiece as I have an IDAS filter on the end which I use with my Atik414-osc.

Hopefully someone will pop up and offer some advice.

Adrian

Edited by Adreneline
Clarification
  • Like 1

It could still be droop. Either in the focus tube, DSLRs are heavy, or the camera itself if you are using a nosepiece. Also it is not unheard of for the sensor to be tilted in the camera.

Have you tried rotating the camera and seeing if the corner most affected moves?

4 minutes ago, Stargazer33 said:

It could still be droop. Either in the focus tube, DSLRs are heavy, or the camera itself if you are using a nosepiece. Also it is not unheard of for the sensor to be tilted in the camera.

Have you tried rotating the camera and seeing if the corner most affected moves?

Thanks Bryan, no i've not done that but its a good suggestion. On the list of things for next time out.