SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Light shroud for truss dobsonian

I am considering a new elastic light shroud for my 12" f6 dobson.

Apart from the obvious ones sold by Teeters and Astrosystems, are there options here in the UK or in the EU?

Where did you get yours?

Cheers, Piero

I used to use an Astrozap shroud with my Meade Lightbridge 12 inch. It worked well with that scope and was more or less essential with the amount of ambient lighting that I had around my observing site.  Not sure if Astrozap do one that would fit your dob though Piero ?

12 minutes ago, John said:

I used to use an Astrozap shroud with my Meade Lightbridge 12 inch. It worked well with that scope and was more or less essential with the amount of ambient lighting that I had around my observing site.  Not sure if Astrozap do one that would fit your dob though Piero ?

Thanks John. :)

I looked at astrozap shrouds and they are nice but it seems they make them for commercial scopes only.

Teeter customise them, and they are not very expensive either. But this doesn't include customs..

• Like 1

I was going to say your best bet might be to have one made. Even for the SW mass produced dobs they seem pricey for what they are. It should bump contrast and help the mirrors stay a bit cleaner and fight off any dew, especially for the primary. I still need a secondary dew heater when it's really soupy out. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ships and Stars said:

I was going to say your best bet might be to have one made. Even for the SW mass produced dobs they seem pricey for what they are. It should bump contrast and help the mirrors stay a bit cleaner and fight off any dew, especially for the primary. I still need a secondary dew heater when it's really soupy out. 

Thanks Robert, 

I do have a light shroud but it has a few issues that I prefer not to state. Yes, a light shroud is very important, not only as a dew shield, but also for limiting tube currents and preventing things falling down to the mirror box! 

IMG_20190705_230106.thumb.jpg.cbe807af6e197da39abd351dea80e270.jpg

• Like 1