Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

More synscan questions

Ok guys I need some more help with synscan , as you know I can't see Polaris so I have to judge it , so after I boot up synscan app on my phone I copy all detail off the screen onto hand set , when it gets to Polaris position ( p scope ) and (hour angle) don't match what's on the hand set screen  i can't change it to match up ,so I just carry on then when I do star alignment when this is done if I ask if to go to a named star it can end up a long way off ?

Edited by Neil H

have you tried out the app that can help you polar align by laying the phone on the mount? 

Polar Aligner Pro - it has a mode where you can do the align in daylight hours which can be handy if you're wanting to set up early and leave things to cool down ready for the nights fun

Edited by DaveL59

If you can't see Polaris (& can't change set up location to one where you can) have a look at the Synscan manual section 11.3 (p37) on "Polar Alignment without Polar Scope".

It requires doing a 2-star alignment, then hitting "Menu"->"Alignment"->"Polar Alignment" & following the instructions to adjust the altitude & azimuth bolts. It's an iterative process, so you'll probably end up doing a couple of 2-star alignments & mount adjustments.

Cheers
Ivor

8 hours ago, DaveL59 said:

have you tried out the app that can help you polar align by laying the phone on the mount? 

Polar Aligner Pro - it has a mode where you can do the align in daylight hours which can be handy if you're wanting to set up early and leave things to cool down ready for the nights fun

Thanks Davel59 I will get this app do you use it ? . If I get stuck trying to work out how it works can I email you please 

2 minutes ago, Aramcheck said:

If you can't see Polaris (& can't change set up location to one where you can) have a look at the Synscan manual section 11.3 (p37) on "Polar Alignment without Polar Scope".

It requires doing a 2-star alignment, then hitting "Menu"->"Alignment"->"Polar Alignment" & following the instructions to adjust the altitude & azimuth bolts. It's an iterative process, so you'll probably end up doing a couple of 2-star alignments & mount adjustments.

Cheers
Ivor

Ok Ivor  that's good will have a read up on it , do you think this is my problem with it being a long way off , I spent a good hour lining the spotter to the telescope so it's 100% on target still trying to get used to the upside down view

I've given it a go and it seems to be ok on the EQ5 mount I have, pretty sure I picked up on it from another post on here so might be better to post on this thread and solicit response from a wider audience :) The polar align is in beta but seems to work, for sure better than nowt if you can't see polaris. Does a 3-star align not get you to better finding ability once done, as that should get the system pretty close to knowing its location/orientation relative to the stars I thought.

With your scope being a Dob (unless I'm mistaken?) not sure how you'd use it tho, perhaps laying it on the OTA?
Hence suggesting posting as someone else may be using it on similar gear to yours.

4 hours ago, DaveL59 said:

I've given it a go and it seems to be ok on the EQ5 mount I have, pretty sure I picked up on it from another post on here so might be better to post on this thread and solicit response from a wider audience :) The polar align is in beta but seems to work, for sure better than nowt if you can't see polaris. Does a 3-star align not get you to better finding ability once done, as that should get the system pretty close to knowing its location/orientation relative to the stars I thought.

With your scope being a Dob (unless I'm mistaken?) not sure how you'd use it tho, perhaps laying it on the OTA?
Hence suggesting posting as someone else may be using it on similar gear to yours.

Not a Dob its a 200 x 1200 on the HEQ5

Orion optics VX8L 

To polar align without Polaris all you need is the PS Align Pro app. This uses GPS, auto time and date to pinpoint the NCP. By placing your phone on the dovetail the app uses a compass like bubble graphic to polar align by you adjusting the alt/az bolts, it is very easy and more than accurate for visual. There is no requirement to see Polaris 

• Like 1

You know I have PS Align Pro and didn't know about this feature.  Just tried it now - too cloudy to see Polaris so can't compare it in the scope but will do so in due course.  Neat feature - bet it gets it close enough of your guiding too

24 minutes ago, dannybgoode said:

You know I have PS Align Pro and didn't know about this feature.  Just tried it now - too cloudy to see Polaris so can't compare it in the scope but will do so in due course.  Neat feature - bet it gets it close enough of your guiding too

I use it when setting up in daytime, gets pretty close to the NCP so only requires tweaking when Polaris appears, big timesaver. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

BTW the previous version of PS Align Pro required the device to be pretty level on the horizontal axis to get an accurate compass reading. Version 5.0 released recently lets you mount it at any angle, as long as the top of the phone points to the celestial pole.