Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

synscan go-to info please

Morning God this is a big learning curve . Last night got telescope set up I put all the info in to the hand set this goes smoothly 

Now it goes in to star alignment I tell it what star it slews round stop and bleeps then says use direction buttons to align star , this is where the problem is it does not move no matter what direction buttons I use ? What am I doing wrong ?

Edited by Neil H
Remove words that the kindle add lol

17 minutes ago, Geoff Barnes said:

@Neil H Make sure your slew speed on the handset is not on zero, put it up to 2 or 3 for final aligning.

Thank you I just read that , I am finding it hard going at the moment due to not be able to see Polaris to align properly . Then not getting focus so I can set up finder scope I the day time , I won't give up 

6 minutes ago, Neil H said:

Could it be rate to low 

Could well be. Quickest way to find out if it is working is to press the slew speed button on the handset and then press a high number like 7, 8 or 9. Then press the direction arrows and the scope should slew fast, if nothing happens then there is some other problem. If it is working reduce the speed down to 2 or 3 for final aligning.

This can be done indoors at any time.

Edited by Geoff Barnes

Hi Geoff thank you so much I will try that I am going to try and get full set up today in the day light so I am ready for tonight I am already impressed with the scope I could see one star (don't ask me what one I still learning) but was at the bottom of a group of stars when I look in the eyepiece there was more than one star but you could not see them just looking up

• Like 1

definitely worth having a play in daylight and you can practise the alignment routine so you get familiar with it before trying it in the dark. No need to see stars, just adjust at each one and let the mount do its thing. Of course you'd have to select blind and the stars it'll choose may seem odd compared to what you'll expect at night since those stars you'd look for normally are likely below the horizon, just have a check in your fave sky map app for what's up at the time you're playing :) 

oh and remember, end the adjustment with up and right (IIRC) before confirming it

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Neil H said:

Thank you I just read that , I am finding it hard going at the moment due to not be able to see Polaris to align properly . Then not getting focus so I can set up finder scope I the day time , I won't give up 

Hi. Its a hobby worth this pain. Don't give up buddy. Once you learn how to operate things, it'll be rewarding. I had to go through the same when i got my neq6 pro. Kneeling on my knees trying to find the polaris in polar scope, then doing the PA. Gosh, it use to take me hours. Today I do this within minutes and that too quite precisely.

Anothr thing you might find useful is to install this app on a mobile phone with GPS turned on - synscan init 2 that will give you all the details in the right order and the right units to enter into your handset each time.  Ditto above comments you will hardly be aware of any movement on the handset unless the speed is set quite fast.

Hi guys thanks for info , it was the rates to low think they were 2 so popped them up 8 for now , I managed to get telescope spotted scope all lined up so I can do the alignment better I do have the synscan  app on my phone it's a life and time saved

So on my list of what to learn is

Constellations that going to take a while 

How to polar align when there is a house in the way ?

How to set home on the HEQ5 ?

Mods are micro focuser, we're to get a lead to plug in to mirror fan can't find it on Orion Optics shop site? I don't even what it looks like ?

Flocking , power pack , 25mm extension tube 

I started last night to fella.. heq5..skywatcher 72ed. I got as far as inputting my long and lat... didnt align but literally did a guide tour to check it works.. only picked it up yesterday. Im finding this all really fascinating  and fun to learn 

• 3 weeks later...

On my unit (SynScan), you manually set the first star, then it slews to the second star at a default speed of 9 until the Center on Star prompt, where it drops auto-magically to 5.  On my unit, 5 is almost not moving and often gives the impression of being off, I dare not go to settings 2 or 3 as I may not live long enough for it to get to the target. I frequently have to change the setting to 7(+/-) if the slew ends up more than half a FOV away from the target just to get the job done in a timely manner.

Edited by JonCarleton