NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solarquest saddle plate upgrade.

Nigella Bryant

Hi all, just did a saddle plate upgrade on my Solarquest Mount today. I'd bought a double stack for my 60mm lunt and wasn't happy with the original saddle plate because it does make quite a bit of difference in weight. This is an easy after market fix from ADM and is the same as with the AZ Gti mount which the Solarquest Mount is based, details below. 

1. First I took off the plastic cover on the saddle plate to reveal the four screws that attach the original plate. 

2. Next unscrew and remove the original plate, the four original screws are reused to attach the part of the new back plate that the new saddle plate attaches to. 

3. Attach the new backplate using the original screws. 

4. Attach the new saddle plate to the back plate using the two supplied hex nuts. 

Simples.

IMG_20200225_122927.jpg

IMG_20200225_122343.jpg

IMG_20200225_122908.jpg

IMG_20200225_122655.jpg

IMG_20200225_123140.jpg

IMG_20200225_123838.jpg

IMG_20200225_123829.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

When I had one just used a short Geoptik dovetail and an Altair Starwave mini saddle. Thought the ADM saddle was too short.

15D76ADC-B6FA-46BC-B3F4-F36EC2EBC39A.jpeg

C7481540-54C7-42FE-92E7-26512EF3405C.jpeg

05E8E589-10A9-41CB-BEB2-532554B19E1C.jpeg

It was the dovetail plate and only one point of contact via the nob/bolt that didn't inspire confidence in me. Hence completely changing the saddle plate with the ADM.

Hmmm, I tried fitting this to my solarquest mount a few months ago. However I hit an issue which was that az gti adapter puts the scope at a different angle to the solar sensor so that the when the solar sensor had found the sun, the scope was pointing at entirely the wrong place. From your last photo it appears this may also be the case with your mount?
I even took the mount apart to try to adjust the angle of the solar sensor but no joy.

Did I make a school boy error? 😀 (quite possible!)

D24C9F11-6976-4A0F-9620-C018E5799F35.jpeg

Edited by GavStar
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, GavStar said:

Hmmm, I tried fitting this to my solarquest mount a few months ago. However I hit an issue which was that az gti adapter puts the scope at a different angle to the solar sensor so that the when the solar sensor had found the sun, the scope was pointing at entirely the wrong place. From your last photo it appears this may also be the case with your mount?
I even took the mount apart to try to adjust the angle of the solar sensor but no joy.

Did I make a school boy error? 😀 (quite possible!)

D24C9F11-6976-4A0F-9620-C018E5799F35.jpeg

You'll have to realigh your mount by recentering via the dial and press to set the new alignment, we'll that's my take on it. Not tried it yet to see if that's what you have to do. It does say in the manual to do that if it's not centered. Watch this space, lol. 

10 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

You'll have to realigh your mount by recentering via the dial and press to set the new alignment, we'll that's my take on it. Not tried it yet to see if that's what you have to do. It does say in the manual to do that if it's not centered. Watch this space, lol. 

Isn’t that only for small adjustments? 

1 hour ago, GavStar said:

Isn’t that only for small adjustments? 

The new saddle plate wasn't that much out of sync from the original position. So hopefully it'll only need a little adjustment Gav. Just using my eye the saddle plate looks central to the centre of the light diode. A little edit, I centred the new saddle plate with the diode with only the centre bolt first which took the saddle plate to one of the screws that attaches the back plate. If you then get a slightly longer bolt than the reused ones (I happened to have one) you can then tighten both the secondary bolt through the back plate and into the mount hub thus securing the second bolt hole on the saddle plate. I hope that makes sense Gav. 

IMG_20200225_210513.jpg

IMG_20200225_220309.jpg

IMG_20200225_220317.jpg

Edited by Nigella Bryant
Pic added.

1 hour ago, Nigella Bryant said:

The new saddle plate wasn't that much out of sync from the original position. So hopefully it'll only need a little adjustment Gav. Just using my eye the saddle plate looks central to the centre of the light diode. A little edit, I centred the new saddle plate with the diode with only the centre bolt first which took the saddle plate to one of the screws that attaches the back plate. If you then get a slightly longer bolt than the reused ones (I happened to have one) you can then tighten both the secondary bolt through the back plate and into the mount hub thus securing the second bolt hole on the saddle plate. I hope that makes sense Gav. 

IMG_20200225_210513.jpg

IMG_20200225_220309.jpg

IMG_20200225_220317.jpg

So just to clarify, I think you now have attached the adapter with 3 small screws rather than 4 and you use the resulting spare hole to attach the adm dovetail clamp with a longer screw you had available. 

This allows you to get the adm clamp level with the sensor since in the original setup it was 45 degrees out?

Is that right?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GavStar said:

So just to clarify, I think you now have attached the adapter with 3 small screws rather than 4 and you use the resulting spare hole to attach the adm dovetail clamp with a longer screw you had available. 

This allows you to get the adm clamp level with the sensor since in the original setup it was 45 degrees out?

Is that right?

Hiya, yeah, that's it in a nut shell. Easy fix. You must however get the backplate holes vertical to begin with. Hope the revised post makes sense. 

Two more pics added for clarity. Tried mount out and works flawlessly. Please note second bolt has been changed to go through to the back plate securing nut allowing alignment with the photo diode and accurate tracking and positioning. Hope this post is useful to those who wish to use the upgrade ADM saddle plate on the Skywatcher Solarquest Mount. 

IMG_20200229_153708.jpg

IMG_20200229_153816.jpg

Edited by Nigella Bryant
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Thanks Nigella, mine arrived from FLO but haven't got around to fitting it yet, looking out the window there's no rush 😂

Great Davey, something to do in the wet weather ready for those fleeting moments of clear sun light, lol. You won't be disappointed. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Great Davey, something to do in the wet weather ready for those fleeting moments of clear sun light, lol. You won't be disappointed. 

Fleeting moments is right, I've got a bottle of sun cream that has price 7/6d on it 😂

Dave

• Haha 2