Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Maplins Flight Case Foam

Got the last case on a deal from the local Maplins. Was an ex-display one and the foam was a bit messed up so they gave me a further fiver off 8)

But how do you fit the foam to your requirements? I thought it was cut in cubes, but it's in strips that go all the way to the hard floor on the bottom. This means anything small will sink to the bottom and be near-impossible to get out. Not to mention get rattled around rather than be held securely by the foam. Even average sized eyepieces laid flat will disappear down there.

Am I totally missing something??

Andrew

Hi Andrew

The foam in my Maplin case is in 1/2in squares. Rather than cut out the foam to fit the eyepieces, I simply separated the adjacent squares from the area I needed, and compressed the foam deep enough to fit the eyepiece.

Hard to explain, but I hope it makes sense!

Paul

I found it difficult to cut with a stanley knife and get the required shape.

I read somewhere of an idea to soak the foam in water and stick it in the freezer to make cutting with a blade easier

In the end I just made a rough outline paper template for each eyepiece and pulled the foam squares out a bit at a time using finger and thumb to the required depth (about half the barrel width - the eyepieces are on their sides). It looks a bit rough but the eyepieces are a snug fit and not too deep so as to allow the foam in the lid to contact the eyepiece sides when the lid's closed so they're cushioned and don't move around.

With mine, I pulled out the verticals and put my eyepieces in vertical. They don't seem to slip down at all. It's now got a bunch of codes and other stuff in there now but still keeps things nice and secure. :(

I pluck it out, and use scissors to cut it to the depth required and place it back into the case. Good job.

I have 5 case, ples a one for eyepieces and Barlow. I reckon I need a couple more to accommodate the rest of the associated equipment. Adaptors, lenses etc. The cases are Ideal for the job, if you can remember which one has what in it. :(

Ron.

You can tell the weather's lousy can't you ? :lol:

Sure can Karlo,an in depth discussion on the fine art that is foam cutting. :(

We need clear skies or insanity is just around the corner.

Oh yes...sky is clear here but as Naz will testify,unusual for this time of year but its blowing 60mph,hope that repair on the fence stands up,if not its destined for Bergen. :D

Hi Andrew

The foam in my Maplin case is in 1/2in squares. Rather than cut out the foam to fit the eyepieces, I simply separated the adjacent squares from the area I needed, and compressed the foam deep enough to fit the eyepiece.

Hard to explain, but I hope it makes sense!

Paul

Yep, thats exactly how I did it with my Maplins case - I was wondering how to explain it but Paul has saved me :(

John

if you can remember which one has what in it

I have three and made the mistake of labelling them using a red permanent marker.

Not very visible at night with a red torch :withstupid:

:laughing3: An easy mistake to make Mike. Isopropyl Alcohol may take it off.Or buy a green torch. :mrgreen:

Ron. :(

Archived