SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

600Da or 60Da?

matt_baker

I've got enough money to spend on a new camera which is going to be astro modified. I just don't know if I should wait and get a 600Da and get one for about £225 or buy a 60D that's been modded right now for £300 with a CLS-CCD filter included with it?

Edited by matt_baker

Just now, Davey-T said:

D you mean 60d and 600d ? the 60Da is a dedicated astro' camera from Canon.

Dave

Sorry yes I mean those two but both modified for astro. And when I say 60D I mean one that's been modified, not the 60Da by canon themselves

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

As reiterated elsewhere, the lower the numbers in a Canon camera series, the better the camera... 

So the 60D(a) will be better than the 600D(a) camera.

I'm just wondering if the price difference is justifiable between either waiting for a 600d or going for the 60d now, especially in terms of noise difference

1 minute ago, michael8554 said:

Both camera are DIGIC 4, so I wouldn't expect much difference in performance. 

However the 60D is much heavier, which might have a bearing on focuser sag.......... 

Michael 

That's what I was thinking, I actually went ahead and bought the 60D so we'll see. 

The 60D is actually far better than the 600D, It has also has many more features including a custom option on the mode dial that lets you lock in any AP settings you want to use, it also uses the Canon "pro" camera batteries so if you ever add a 5d/6d/7d it will use the same ones.

Alan

Edited by Alien 13

4 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

The 60D is actually far better than the 600D, It has many more features including a custom option on the mode dial that lets you lock in any AP settings you want to use, it also uses the Canon "pro" camera batteries so if you ever add a 5d/6d/7d it will use the same ones.

Alan

Apart from the pro batteries, I'll be controlling the camera using APT

10 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

That's interesting Alan, what settings do you store? 

Michael 

The custom setup allows you to store any of the cameras features on the mode dial so for example you could have it set to manual/bulb/mirror lockup/ISO setting/white balance/f/stop if using a camera lens etc. My camera has two custom settings, I have one set for NTSC video and the other for nightscapes.

Alan

Edited by Alien 13

23 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

Good, my 6D has C1 and C2 custom positions on the dial, but I've never felt the need to use them in Deep Sky, which is all I do. 

Michael 

I find my two custom settings very useful as I can never remember what state I have left the normal ones in and things like reduced ISO range or mirror lockup etc might not be what you want for a daytime shot.

In your case you could have them optimized for Luna/Planetary and Deep Sky.

Alan

Edited by Alien 13

• 1 month later...
On 14/02/2020 at 08:44, matt_baker said:

Is there actually any difference in sensitivity between a modded 60D and a 60Da?

Sensitivity?  Definitely!  the 60Da (or a full spec modded 60D) will have a broader range of frequencies that it can gather.  I recently modded my 60D with a full spectrum mod and now not only does it get the higher red bands (Ha Region) but can do IR photography as well with the proper filters.  I bought a 720nm lens filter so i can use it to look at things in only IR light.  Here are some examples: the two B&W photos are the 720nm IR photos.  The other two show a unmodded and modded (white balanced) shot.  Not the red colors on the tree on the modded one.  That is the IR output of the tree leaves.  The sky also looks richer as it has some IR coming in from it too as well as more UV whic is closer to Blue than Red on the spectrum charts.

IMG_9422.jpg

IMG_9424.jpg

IMG_9427.jpg

IMG_9428.jpg