Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar with a 200PDS

Hi,

So I've got a 200PDS Newtonian and I've been using it exclusively for DSO work - for which it works great.

I'd like to do some basic solar observation and the lowest cost entry point would seem to be a full aperture solar filter like the Baader Astrozap filters: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/astrozap-baader-solar-filter.html

My question is - will this plus the Ha filter in my filter wheel be safe for the camera in a 200PDS? Would I need to throw an IR/UV filter into the front of the coma corrector? I'll be using my ASI183MM to do the actual capture.

The other option I have is to get some Baader filter material and tape it securely to the stopped-down aperture in the dust cap, which feels a bit safer in terms of aperture/heat gathering, but would this make a material impact to the amount of detail/resolution I'd be able to get out of the system?

And lastly, if the 200P isn't suitable, would a low-cost apo with the same filter setup do the job?

Edited by discardedastro

That Baader astrozap front filter will be okay on it's own. Any other filter in your filterwheel is of no use.
Solar H-alpha filters (etalons) are totally different from the 'normal' H-alpha filters used for NB imaging. 
Heat will be of no problem in either mentioned scope or setup with the Baader foil. 

Understood on the Ha not being a proper etalon - I know from some research that NB filters can help a little with contrast in WL, hence things like the Baader continuum filter. Only looking for white light - I'll go buy a Quark/Lunt if I want to do solar properly, but that takes a budget!

The heat load and overall safety of the system was the main thing I was worried about. It's a lot of aperture compared to most solar scopes and it gave me pause.

10 hours ago, discardedastro said:

The heat load and overall safety of the system was the main thing I was worried about. It's a lot of aperture compared to most solar scopes and it gave me pause.

The AstroSolar filters prevent any heat buildup in the scope so that's not a problem. The main safety risk is if the filter blows off or is knocked off when you are viewing. Ensuring a firm fit with perhaps some form of backup securing mechanism can eliminate this risk, although care is always needed of course 

I would go for a full aperture filter to get the best resolution.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Stu said:

The AstroSolar filters prevent any heat buildup in the scope so that's not a problem. The main safety risk is if the filter blows off or is knocked off when you are viewing. Ensuring a firm fit with perhaps some form of backup securing mechanism can eliminate this risk, although care is always needed of course 

I would go for a full aperture filter to get the best resolution.

Sounds like a plan. I can gaffer tape the filter in place as an added mechanism for security, or drill some securing bolts through. Thanks all.

41 minutes ago, joe aguiar said:

U dont need the full aperture filter u could save some and get an off axis filter.

Or if your cap has the inner cap use that hole

Joejaguar 

....and limit the available resolution?

I do find the image a bit bright with the original Baader solar film from ~20 years ago.  I don't know if they've darkened it up a bit or not.  I like to have an IR blocking filter in place to limit any unblocked IR from cooking my retina.  Without it, after a while, I feel fatigue in my observing eye.