Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Camera return - Customs, etc?

TakMan

Hi folks...

After some advice.

My SBIG imaging camera is poorly and it’s looking like I’ll need to return it to the US.

I’ve already been in email contact with the chap there, etc.

So, for sending out, I’ll be off to the Post office on Saturday. I presume they will give me a Customs form or something to declare the goods going out. Apart from stating that it’s being returned for repair, anything else I should consider? If I have to put a value on it, any thoughts?

For when it’s returned, should I speak with our own Customs Office before I return as I don’t really want to be hit for duties on something that is 7 odd years old and already had that paid on it!

Thanks in advance...

Damian

At work, we get involved in the opposite process. That is equipment being sent to us for repair and return to foreign parts.

The exact rules obviously vary with the countries involved. The USA sometimes want someone in the USA to have power of attorney on high value items (even though they items are not people!).
Russia require bribes. Yes we once had a package held at Moscow airport because nobody would pay. After 3 months we brought it back and told the equipment owner to arrange his own shipping.
India require wheel barrows to handle the paperwork.
Some countries accept an electronic paper trail. Others need real paper with multiple signatures in blue ink to stand out against a black print page. Etc, etc.

A further complication is the UK rules seem to vary with time. I have checked and they are not related to lunar phase, wind direction or anything easily measureable.

Add to this identical numbers or certificates get different names each year.

The best way we have found to minimise problems is to use the same carrier for inbound and outbound shipping.
Further, when preparing your paperwork, the declaration must state something along the lines of....

SBIG camera model ABS, serial number 1234 being sent to SBIG for repair and then return to the UK.

For these reasons I would suggest you use one of the international carriers. UPS, DHL, etc.
Ask that the camera be returned using the same carrier.

If you use an agency (Interparcel, Parcel2go, etc) it is often cheaper than approaching the 'big name' directly.
But make sure you know which carrier is going to be used. In the UK, this is not a problem.

When your camera gets held up on the way back, you can easily remind the import desk that it is the same camera you sent out on tracking number abc1234 on whatever date.
The carrier then has easy access to the data.
Trying to link data between UPS & TNT or UK post to US post is fraught with difficulty.

A further problem is the value for insurance. No easy answers here. I have argued with carriers about this.
If you put a low value on the item and it gets lost, you will be paid a low amount.
You really need to be able to state the value for loss is the price of a new camera. But the customs value is a non working scrap value camera.
This is not easy.

Further, some carriers are awkward in their small print about paying out anything on secondhand or faulty items.
Make sure the insurance value is agreed beforehand.
Yes I have had big arguments (particularly with TNT) on this. We use our company, not carrier, insurance.

Finally, when shipping, the carrier may require you (an unknown person to them) to leave the parcel open for inspection by their staff.
This makes sure you are shipping what you claim.
If an open parcel is required, make sure you are standing by with the roll of parcel tape and photograph the contents - and driver.
If they don't trust you, why should you trust them? Yes things have got 'lost' from unsealed shipping containers!

Good luck with the repair.

David.

Edited by Carbon Brush
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You'd be better of with someone like UPS if it's worth a couple of thousand pounds, you can state the value on the paperwork then they will collect and sign for it for a couple of pounds.

They will email the paperwork and labels to you to print and you won't have to queue up in the post office for half an hour 😁

Not the cheapest but I've sent a few high value things back to the USA for repair with them, the fun starts when they arrive back in the UK customs and they try to figure out some way to extort some money out of you for import duty as they seem to have no conception of or box to tick for returned repaired items.

They held onto my Quark for about 5 weeks then I had to pay the duty before they would discuss the matter and  wait a month for a refund  :cussing:

Dave

Edited by Davey-T
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all for the advice.

I spoke earlier to the third party chap at work who looks after paid for items for shipping... he’ll probably use FedEx and stated the same - that it’ll be easier to sort the forms for the return if using the same.

So, I’ve just fired off an email to SBIG to see which couriers they have access to and take it from there.

I’ve been asked to try one last thing before I prepare to send back (I think I know it will be). I’ll also dig out the original receipt from Ian King to show when and what I paid for it - might help with U.K. customs!

I’ve been told I can just unscrew the camera faceplate, so at least I don’t have to start unscrewing the connections to the filter wheel which is in turn attached to the reducer...

I’ll update as and when - perhaps a useful resource to others in the future...?

Thanks again for your replies.

Damian

I think the paperwork you need is an ATA carnet (pronounced: car-nay). We used to use them to send equipment out of the UK for demos, exhibitions and the like. They work on the basis that the kit will be returned to the UK and that it is only going "overseas" temporarily.
You may also need to have proof of ownership: the receipt or credit card record.

4 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Not the cheapest but I've sent a few high value things back to the USA for repair with them, the fun starts when they arrive back in the UK customs and they try to figure out some way to extort some money out of you for import duty as they seem to have no conception of or box to tick for returned repaired items.

The Finnish customs have taken this to a whole new level. Over here you get the pleasure of paying import duty and VAT on the value of the repair done to the item (including insurance + shipping + any additional fees.....)

Mindboggling...

30 minutes ago, MarcusH said:

The Finnish customs have taken this to a whole new level. Over here you get the pleasure of paying import duty and VAT on the value of the repair done to the item (including insurance + shipping + any additional fees.....)

Mindboggling...

Mine was repaired under warranty FOC but they still tried to get money out of me.

Dave

On 05/02/2020 at 11:47, Carbon Brush said:

At work, we get involved in the opposite process. That is equipment being sent to us for repair and return to foreign parts.

The exact rules obviously vary with the countries involved. The USA sometimes want someone in the USA to have power of attorney on high value items (even though they items are not people!).
Russia require bribes. Yes we once had a package held at Moscow airport because nobody would pay. After 3 months we brought it back and told the equipment owner to arrange his own shipping.
India require wheel barrows to handle the paperwork.
Some countries accept an electronic paper trail. Others need real paper with multiple signatures in blue ink to stand out against a black print page. Etc, etc.

A further complication is the UK rules seem to vary with time. I have checked and they are not related to lunar phase, wind direction or anything easily measureable.

Add to this identical numbers or certificates get different names each year.

The best way we have found to minimise problems is to use the same carrier for inbound and outbound shipping.
Further, when preparing your paperwork, the declaration must state something along the lines of....

SBIG camera model ABS, serial number 1234 being sent to SBIG for repair and then return to the UK.

For these reasons I would suggest you use one of the international carriers. UPS, DHL, etc.
Ask that the camera be returned using the same carrier.

If you use an agency (Interparcel, Parcel2go, etc) it is often cheaper than approaching the 'big name' directly.
But make sure you know which carrier is going to be used. In the UK, this is not a problem.

When your camera gets held up on the way back, you can easily remind the import desk that it is the same camera you sent out on tracking number abc1234 on whatever date.
The carrier then has easy access to the data.
Trying to link data between UPS & TNT or UK post to US post is fraught with difficulty.

A further problem is the value for insurance. No easy answers here. I have argued with carriers about this.
If you put a low value on the item and it gets lost, you will be paid a low amount.
You really need to be able to state the value for loss is the price of a new camera. But the customs value is a non working scrap value camera.
This is not easy.

Further, some carriers are awkward in their small print about paying out anything on secondhand or faulty items.
Make sure the insurance value is agreed beforehand.
Yes I have had big arguments (particularly with TNT) on this. We use our company, not carrier, insurance.

Finally, when shipping, the carrier may require you (an unknown person to them) to leave the parcel open for inspection by their staff.
This makes sure you are shipping what you claim.
If an open parcel is required, make sure you are standing by with the roll of parcel tape and photograph the contents - and driver.
If they don't trust you, why should you trust them? Yes things have got 'lost' from unsealed shipping containers!

Good luck with the repair.

David.

All good advice.

Further to this I'd advise against using TNT, they used to be amongst the best but since the takeover / merger with FedEx they cause me nothing but problems. I guess the same goes for FedEx themselves but I have no direct experience with them.

Look for clauses in the insurance small print mentioning glass. It's fairly standard for couriers not to cover anything containing glass.

I also enquired SBig recently about a camera issue.  Initially they just said to send it back.  When I told him that it was from the UK he gave me some things to check, including the external power supply and the usb cable.  Running a short cable and from the 12V supply rather than the 240V one it seemed to be operating the shtter fine (his initial diagnosis).  I've been waiting for a clear night to test further before deciding whether it needs to go to California.

I would agree with using a courier to send the camera for a US repair.  The Post Office did not have a clue and had none of the correct paperwork.  UPS (I think it was) or DHL was spot on.  I did get charged VAT on the repair cost - which involved new parts but that is what is supposed to happen.